- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: March 13, 2007
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Criterion
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - Japanese
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Interviews: Kon Ichikawa - Director; Rentaro Mikuni - Star
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 04/06/2007
"[I]t has a clarity of purpose and a simplicity of execution that makes it still appealing."
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2010
"Ichikawa Kon's spiritual odyssey offered the most convincing attempt to date to convey the psychological impact of the country's surrender at the end of WWII."
Kon Ichikawa's antiwar classic depicts the aftermath of the Burmese campaign of World War II and centers on a soldier who, after a series of horrifying experiences, comes to realize that his vocation is to bury the unknown dead.
- Theatrical release: April 28, 1967.