- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 6 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: February 27, 2007
- Originally Released: 1975
- Label: Blue Underground
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Italian
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: 25th Anniversary
- Italian Theatrical Trailer
- U.S. Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Uncut - 02/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "A heavy influence on HALLOWEEN....[A] subtly unsettling thriller..."
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2011
"[I]t's a Hitchcockian tease that compiles a number of virtuoso suspense set pieces..."
An English pianist living in Rome witnesses the brutal murder of his neighbor, a psychic. With the help of a tenacious young reporter he tries to discover the killer using very unconventional methods--and the two are soon drawn into a shocking web of dementia, savagery and violence.
The murder of a composer's neighbor has ties to the occult book the tunesmith is currently reading. When the songwriter decides to investigate the murder, he finds himself ensnared in a bloody web of intrigue -- particularly when the author of the occult book also turns up dead.
- Theatrical Release: June 11, 1976.
- Director Dario Argento's original cut ran 126 minutes. Most available versions are significantly shorter.
- Argento later opened a shop in Rome named "Profondo Rosso" (the Italian title for "Deep Red"). It featured the "Museo degli Orrori di Dario Argento," a museum of memorabilia from his many films.
- The original American theatrical release was rated R by the MPAA.