Lucky Thompson The Beginning Years
- Released: January 27, 1997
- Label: Iajrc Records
- 1.Vout Rhythm - Lucky Thompson
- 2.Stormy Mood - Lucky Thompson
- 3.Baggin' the Boogie - Bob Mosley, Lucky Thompson
- 4.Bee Boogie Boo - Lucky Thompson
- 5.Irresistible You - Lucky Thompson
- 6.Phace - Lucky Thompson
- 7.Don't Drive This Jive Away - Estelle Edson, Oscar Pettiford, Lucky Thompson
- 8.Hour of Parting - Lucky Thompson
- 9.Abernathy's Boogie - Lucky Thompson
- 10.Cherokee - Lucky Thompson
- 11.Slowin' Down the Blues - Lucky Thompson
- 12.I'm Gonna See My Baby - Lucky Thompson
- 13.Frantic Blues - Lucky Thompson
- 14.Snowbound - David Allyn, , Lucky Thompson
- 15.Flight of the Vout Bug - Lyle And His Orchestra Griffin, Lucky Thompson
- 16.It Shouldn't Happen to a Dream - Lyle And His Orchestra Griffin, Lucky Thompson
- 17.For You - Basin Street Boys, Lucky Thompson
- 18.Things Ain't What They Used to Be - Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra, Lucky Thompson
- 19.Jeep's Blues - Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra, Lucky Thompson
- 20.Day Dream - Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra, Lucky Thompson
- 21.Take the "A" Train - Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra, Lucky Thompson
- 22.Hickory Dickory Dock - Ernie Andrews, , Lucky Thompson
- 23.Blue Rhythm Be-Bop - Mills Blue Rhythm Band, Lucky Thompson
Personnel: Lucky Thompson (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Marion Abernathy (vocals, piano); David Allyn, Estelle Edson, Ormand Wilson, Ernie Andrews, Gene Price , Artie Waters, Rueben Sanders (vocals); Tony Getz, Freddie Green, Gene Phillips, Irving Ashby, Al Norris, Charlie Eldridge "Chuck" Norris, Al Hendrickson, Tony Rizzi, Barney Kessel (guitar); Eddie Rosa, Clint Meagley, Marshall Royal (clarinet, alto saxophone); Rudy Rutherford (clarinet); Jewell L. Grant, Hal McKusick, George Weidler, Richard Norris (alto saxophone); Gordon Reeder (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Corky Corcoran, Ralph Lee (tenor saxophone); Little Joe Cook , L‚on Beck, Butch Stone (baritone saxophone); Conrad Gozzo , Chuck Peterson, Frank Beach, Gerald Wilson, John Best , Karl George, Al Killian, Shorty Rogers, John McClanian Best Jr., Charlie Shavers (trumpet); Lyle Griffin, Charles Maxon, Sidney Harris, Lyle Griffin And His Orchestra, J. Johnson, J.J. Johnson , Si Zentner, Tommy Pederson , Dave Wells (trombone); G. Styles, Eddie Beal, Bob Mosley , Wilbert Barranco, Ike Carpenter, Jimmy Rowles, Bill Doggett (piano); Frank Davenport (celesta); Edward Hall, Don Lamond, Lee Young, Alvin Stoller, Roy Porter, Shadow Wilson, Stan Levey (drums).
Liner Note Author: Doug Norwood.
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (11/??/1945-07/07/1947); Los Angeles, CA (11/??/1945-07/07/1947).
Photographer: Eric Bogart.
Unknown Contributor Role: Jack Towers.
Arranger: Van Alexander.
The first CD put out by the collectors IAJRC label was a big success, a collection of some of tenor saxophonist Lucky Thompson's mid-'40s West Coast recordings. Thompson cut an enormous amount of sides while in Los Angeles during 1945-47 and some of the cream is on this CD. The skilled tenor (whose transitional style fell between swing and bop) is featured with ten different recording groups (many quite obscure) and among the other musicians are trumpeter Karl George, trombonist J.J. Johnson, clarinetist Rudy Rutherford, altoist Marshall Royal, pianists Bill Doggett and Dodo Marmarosa, bassists Oscar Pettiford and Charles Mingus, drummer Shadow Wilson, singers David Allyn and Ernie Andrews and the Mills Blue Rhythm Band. All of the 23 selections (which are of a consistently high quality) were formerly quite rare, making this CD a must for bop collectors. ~ Scott Yanow
A Proper Introduction to Just One More Chance (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE