Ray Davies See My Friends
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$13.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.82 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 8, 2010
- Label: Decca
Rolling Stone - p.723.5 stars out of 5 -- "The highlight of this collaborative set is 'Day/This Time Tomorrow,' a medley of Kinks classics....Davies songbook is so deep, this could be a box set."
Clash (magazine) - "Springsteen is on fine form on 'Better Things'....Alex Chilton is the beating heart of ''Til The End Of The Day.'"
Record Collector (magazine) - p.803 stars out of 5 -- "Jackson Browne clearly got the winner's ticket and the honour of accompanying Ray on 'Waterloo Sunset.' It's genuinely beautiful, Davies restricting himself to harmony back-up while Browne takes the lead with reserve and reverence."
Uncut (magazine) - p.883 stars out of 5 -- "[The album] recontextualizes familiar material, most successfully on Spoon's spacey version of 'See My Friends'."
- 1.Better Things
- 2.Celluloid Heroes - (featuring Richie Sambora)
- 3.Days / This Time Tomorrow - (featuring Mumford & Sons)
- 4.Long Way From Home - (featuring The 88)
- 5.You Really Got Me
- 7.Waterloo Sunset
- 8.'Til The End of the Day - (featuring The 88)
- 9.Dead End Street
- 10.See My Friends
- 11.This Is Where I Belong
- 12.David Watts
- 13.Tired of Waiting
- 14.All Day and All of the Nihgt / Destroyer
Audio Mixer: Mike Crossey.
Photographer: Ian Brodie.
Arranger: Raymond Douglas Davies.
A tribute album starring the man of honor himself, who also curated the whole affair, See My Friends is a bit of a curious creature. Certainly, Ray Davies' influence is so pervasive he could rope in a number of heavy hitters from a number of different generations. Jackson Browne and Bruce Springsteen sign up for duets; Metallica backs the legend on a rip through "You Really Got Me," while Spoon offers suitably spacy support on "See My Friends"; Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora harmonize on a languid "Celluloid Heroes," and Black Francis comes in to sing "This Is Where I Belong," a song he covered with gusto some 16 years earlier. As it turns out, "This Is Where I Belong" provides a good indication of the energy level of See My Friends in general: the older dudes are comfortable playing with Ray while the newer dudes are respectful, delivering amiably mannered performances. It's all pleasant enough, but it's hard not to wish that more of the record had the kick of "Til The End of the Day," where the late Alex Chilton seems genuinely enthused to sing with his idol. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Return to Waterloo / Come Dancing with The Kinks (DVD)
Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best of The Kinks & Ray Davies... (CD)
$13.58 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE