Red Norvo The Red Norvo Quintet
- Released: March 22, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Studio West
- 1.Spider's Web
- 2.What Is This Thing Called Love?
- 3.Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- 4.About a Quarter to Nine - Red Norvo Quintet, Mavis Rivers
- 5.Lena and Lenny
- 7.Rhee, O, Rhee
- 8.One Minute to One - Red Norvo Quintet, Mavis Rivers
- 10.Lena and Lenny [Alternate Take]
- 11.What Is This Thing Called Love? [Alternate Take]
- 12.That Old Black Magic - Ella Mae Morse, Red Norvo Quintet
- 13.Don't Get Around Much Anymore [Alternate Take]
- 14.Rhee, O, Rhee [Alternate Take]
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Red Norvo (vibraphone, xylophone); Ella Mae Morse, Mavis Rivers (vocals); Jimmy Wyble (guitar); John Markham (drums).
Liner Note Author: Peter Jacobson.
Recording information: United Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA (1962).
Photographer: William Claxton.
This CD, taken from radio transcriptions cut for the radio show "The Navy Swings," features vibraphonist Red Norvo's group in 1962, which by itself is rather notable, for Norvo made no other recordings as a leader from 1960-68. Red's quintet (which also includes guitarist Al Viola, pianist Jack Wilson, bassist Jimmy Bond and drummer Bill Goodwin) plays very much in the cool-toned but often heated style of his earlier trios. Mavis Rivers and Ella Mae Morse take a total of three vocals, but it is the 11 instrumentals (counting four alternate takes) that are particularly memorable, most notably "Spider's Web," "Lena and Lenny" and "Rhee, O, Rhee." ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE