Thirsty Ear Presents: Blue Series Sampler 
by Various Artists
- Released: September 26, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Thirsty Ear
- 1.SEX MOB-"Pygmy Suite", from the album SEXOTICA
- 2.SCOTTY HARD'S RADICAL RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY- JOHN MEDESKI, MATTHEW SHIPP, "The General", from the album 2
- 3.MATTHEW SHIPP- "Arc", from the album ONE
- 4.NILS PETTER MOLVAER- "LITTLE INDIAN" from the album An American Compilation
- 5.CARL HANCOCK RUX- "Thadius Star" from the album GOOD BREAD ALLEY
- 6.ERI YAMAMOTO- "Melodica Chops", from the album COBALT BLUE
- 7.CRAIG TABORN- "Junk Magic" from the album JUNK MAGIC
- 8.DJ SPOOKY AND DAVE LOMBARDO- A darker Shade of Bleak" form the album "DRUMS OF DEATH"
- 9.CHARLIE HUNTER AND BOBBY PREVITE AS GROUNDTRUTHER (WITH SPECIAL GUEST DJ LOGIC- TRANSIT OF VENUS from the album LONGITUDE
- 10.THE YOHIMBE BROTHERS- "30 Spokes" THE TAO OF YO
- 11.WILLIAM PARKER- "Scrapbook" from the album SCRAPBOOK
- 12.DAVID S. WARE- Yesterdays from the album BALLADWARE
- 13.30 Spokes
The Blue Series Sampler 2006 from Thirsty Ear is, in many ways, its most adventurous yet in that it surveys the label's depth and creativity from -- mostly -- outside the jazz world. That is not to say there isn't vanguard jazz here; there most certainly is. The concentration, however, lies in tracks that are outside most musical formations. There's the theatrical, 21st century sci-fi soul by Carl Hancock Rux; Meat Beat Manifesto's sonicspheres and beatscapes; the dreamy, electronic world music pastiches of the Yohimbe Brothers, Craig Taborn's post-classical compositions that meld acoustic music with sound samples, and more. In addition, there are cuts by those who began with the Blue Series and have taken vanguard jazz into new terrains: William Parker, from his Scrapbook, David S. Ware places a track from his utterly gorgeous BalladWare, there's a cut by the Beans collective and a moving and challenging piece by Matthew Shipp form his brilliant One album. Finally there are the DJ Squads like DJ Spooky with heavy metal drum king Dave Lombardo from Drums of Death, and poet Mike Ladd, and there are still more tracks. This is a great budget sampler of new music that will clue punters in to one of the most forward-thinking and characteristically consistent labels out there. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE