Mary of Scotland
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
History called her "The Temptress"!
|You Save:||$17.01 (57% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: XRI 7600D
Also released as:
Mary of Scotland [Import] for $9.71
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 28, 1936
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Fredric March, John Carradine, Florence Eldridge, Douglas Walton, Robert Barrat, Gavin Muir & Ian Keith|
|Directed by||John Ford|
|Edited by||Jane Loring|
|Screenwriting by||Dudley Nichols|
|Composition by||Max Steiner|
|Art Direction by||Van Nest Polglase|
|Produced by||Pandro S. Berman|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph H. August|
Katharine Hepburn stars as the titular Scottish regent whose return to her native land from France in the company of secretary David Rizzio (John Carradine) alarms Queen Elizabeth I (Florence Eldridge), the latter keenly aware of her cousin's ambitions for the British throne. Yet Mary must first deal with the Scottish nobility, led by her half brother, the earl of Moray (Ian Keith), who challenges her Catholic faith and unmarried status. The Protestant earl of Bothwell (Fredric March), smitten with Mary, helps her win over the nobility and assume the throne of Scotland. Despite her love for Bothwell, she refuses to marry him, instead wedding the fickle Lord Darnley (Douglas Walton) since he is the heir to Elizabeth's throne. The Virgin Queen retaliates by plotting with Moray to end Mary's reign. Despite Katharine Hepburn's preference for George Cukor, producer Pandro Berman chose Ford to direct this adaptation of Maxwell Anderson's apocryphal blank-verse drama. Hepburn responds with a galvanic performance, and Ford's influence, most noticeable in the imaginatively photographed interiors, lends dramatic resonance to MARY OF SCOTLAND's enjoyable blend of myth, history, and inspired pageantry.
Historical drama about Mary Queen of Scots, who clashed with her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, and posed a serious threat to the English throne.
- Additional cast: William Stack (Ruthven), Mary Livingstone (Molly Lamont), Jean Fenwick (Mary Seton), Lionel Pape (Burghley), D'Arcy Corrigan (Kirkcaldy), Frank Baker (Douglas), Cyril McLaglen (Faudoncide), Murray Kinnell (Judge), Barlowe Borland (Judge), Wyndham Standing (Sergeant-at-Arms), Earle Foxe (Earl of Kent), Paul McAllister (du Croche), Gaston Glass (Fisherman), and Neil Fitzgerald (Nobleman).
- Released in USA July 30, 1936.
- The Turner videocassette is part of the "RKO Collection."
Anne of the Thousand Days / Mary, Queen of Scots (2-DVD)
$16.63 Super Savings
Katharine Hepburn Collection (Morning Glory / Dragon Seed /...
$51.15 Super Savings
The Virgin Queen (Bette Davis Centenary Collection)
$13.62 Super Savings
The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD)(270)
$3.98 on SALE
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Hopalong Cassidy - Ultimate Collector's Ed. (66-Film... (DVD)(31)
$29.98 on SALE
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...(99)
$1.98 on SALE
NBC News - Deep Throat: Full Story of Watergate (DVD)(40)
99¢ on SALE