Classic Jazz: Jazz Masters
by Various Artists
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
- Released: June 25, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Time Life Records
- 1.Dizzy GillespieNight In Tunisia
- 2.Ella FitzgeraldIt Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 3.Lou Donaldson-Clifford Brown QuintetBrownie Speaks
- 4.Erroll Garner TrioMisty
- 5.Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson TrioOn The Sunny Side of the Street
- 6.Nat King Cole TrioRoute 66
- 7.Gene AmmonsSock
- 8.Miles Davis QuartetIt Never Entered My Mind
- 9.Duke EllingtonSatin Doll
- 10.Sonny RollinsI'm An Old Cowhand
- 11.Lambert, Hendricks & RossCloudburst
- 12.Stand Getz and Charlie ByrdDesifinado
- 13.Herbie HancockCantaloupe Island
- 14.Mongo SantamariaWatermelon Man
- 15.Jimmy McgriffI've Got a Woman
- 16.Mel TorméLullaby of Birdland
- 17.John ColtraneGiant Steps
- 18.Horace Silver QuintetSong For My Father
Compilation producer: Charles McCardell.
Includes liner notes by Charles McCardell.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Time Life Music's "Classic Jazz" series.
Personnel: Nat King Cole (vocals, piano); Osvaldo "Chihuahua" Martinez, Joseph Gorgas (vocals, percussion); Ella Fitzgerald, Wito Kortwright, Jon Hendricks, La Lupe, Mel Torm‚, Annie Ross (vocals); Gene Byrd, Morris Dow, Oscar Moore, Barney Kessel, Bill DeArango, Charlie Byrd (guitar); Stuff Smith (violin); Pat Patrick (flute, alto saxophone); Bobby Capers (flute, tenor saxophone); Freddie Hubbard (clarinet); Lou Donaldson, Rick Henderson, Russell Procope, Bud Shank (alto saxophone); Don Byas, Gene Ammons, Jack Montrose, Jimmy Hamilton, John Coltrane, Lester Young , Paul Gonsalves, Sonny Rollins, Ben Webster, Bob Cooper (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Don Fagerquist, Carmell Jones, Nathan Woodard, Marty Sheller, Miles Davis, Pete Candoli, Ray Nance, Willie Cook, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Vincent DeRosa, Bob Enevoldsen, John Cave (flugelhorn); Henderson Chambers, Juan Tizol, Quentin Jackson, Britt Woodman (trombone); Albert Pollan (tuba); Duke Ellington, Elmo Hope, Erroll Garner, Gildo Mahones, John Houston, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Al Haig, Marty Paich, Oscar Peterson, Paul Smith , Rodgers Grant, Tommy Flanagan (piano); Jimmy McGriff (organ); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Butch Ballard, Eugene "Fats" Heard, Frank Hernandez, George Brown , J.C. Heard, Jackie Mills, Mel Lewis, Alvin Stoller, Philly Joe Jones, Ray Lucas, Art Blakey, Shelly Manne, Tony Williams , Roger Humphries, Walter Bolden (drums); Mongo Santamaria (congas); Bill Reichenbach , Buddy Deppenschmidt (percussion).
Recording information: Chicago, IL (02/22/1946-10/26/1964); Hacknsack, NJ (02/22/1946-10/26/1964); Hollywood, CA (02/22/1946-10/26/1964); Los Angeles, CA (02/22/1946-10/26/1964); New York, NY (02/22/1946-10/26/1964); Washington D.C (02/22/1946-10/26/1964).
Arranger: Marty Paich.
Offering up a somewhat confused selection of modern jazz classics (Coltrane, Mel Torm‚, and Mongo Santamaria on one disc?), Time Life still comes through with a solid mix of bop and hard bop instrumentals and vocals. Bookended by milestones from both eras, Dizzy Gillespie's "A Night in Tunisia" and Horace Silver's "Song for My Father," Classic Jazz: Jazz Masters takes in additional gems from such other essential figures as Lester Young, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Sonny Rollins, and Herbie Hancock. An enjoyable survey that's best suited to neophytes. ~ Stephen Cook
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!