- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 23, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Magnolia
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary with Casey Afflect, Joaquin Phoenix, Nicole Acacio, Larry McHale, Anthony Langdon, Johnny Moreno, Eddie Rouse, Matt Maher, Elliot Gaynon and Sue Patricola
- Commentary with Casey Affleck
- Deleted scenes (Commentary with Casey Affleck)
- Audio conversation with Jerry Penacoli "Extra", Casey Affleck and Joaquin Phoenix
- Audio conversation with Christine Spines (journalism professor), Casey Affleck and Joaquin Phoenix
- Jerr Penacoli "Extra" interview with Joaquin Phoenix
- Alternate ending outtakes (commentary with Casey Affleck)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/07/2010
3 stars out of 4 -- "It documents a train wreck....A train that flies off the tracks and tumbles into the abyss."
A.V. Club - 09/09/2010
"[I]t's a grimier version of BORAT, an interactive one in which the audience acts as the squirming dupe trying to judge how to respond to the questionable reality of the experience....Riveting..." -- Grade: B
Hollywood Reporter - 09/07/2010
"[An] energetic directorial debut....The fact that an audience can watch the film to the end and not be completely sure where reality ends and playtime begins is a tribute to Affleck's skills at mimicking documentary tropes..."
Premiere - 09/10/2010
"[I]f it all is make believe, then one must applaud Phoenix's Andy Kaufman-like transformation, and his ability to stay in character for close to a year and a half."
Box Office - 09/08/2010
4 stars out of 5 -- "[B]rilliant, often hilarious....The film is a riveting piece of cinematic theater that satirizes artistic pretension and celebrity culture."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/17/2010
"Affleck uses Phoenix's descent to forge a riveting -- and, in its way, cautionary -- case study of a celebrity ragingly addicted to his own psychodrama." -- Grade: A-
Rolling Stone - 09/09/2010
"[A] riveting experiment....It'll knock you sideways..."
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2010
"In places the film is disarmingly funny, and the joke is often on Phoenix....Affleck deliberately takes an open-ended approach, adn that's what makes the film so disarming."
Total Film - 11/01/2010
4 stars out of 5 -- "Affleck's film makes for sharp critique of celebrity culture..."
Empire - 01/07/2010
3 stars out of 5 -- "A send-up of celebrity culture it may be, and, as such, it works very well."
Uncut - 02/01/2011
3 stars out of 5 -- "Look at it, then, not as a hoax -- but a great piece of Method acting."
Music (General) |
Rap / Hip Hop |