- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 23, 2010
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Miramax
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Strictly Ballroom: from stage to screen
- Deleted scenes
- Design gallery with narration
- Samba to slow fox dance featurette
- Audio commentary
- Dual Layer
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/12/1993
"...Overlaid with a buoyant veneer of spangles and marabou, and with a tireless sense of fun..."
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...Full of breezy charm..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
USA Today - 07/10/1997
"...Beguilingly eccentric characters..."
Rolling Stone - 03/04/1993
"...Luhrmann is a director with style and snap....Mercurio and Morice are marvels of sensuality in motion..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/19/1993
"...Bouncy and chic..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 02/26/1993
"...What's best about the movie is the sense of madness and mania running just beneath the surface..."
Super-hunk Scott Hastings is an ambitious, athletic dancer eager to break with the Australian Dance Federation's stodgy traditions and choreograph his own steps for the upcoming Ballroom Dancing Championship. Scott's mother Shirley, his prissy partner Liz and coach Les are up in arms over his brash attitude towards ballroom conventions. Angry at Scott's new passionate refusal to follow the rules, Liz quits, leaving him without a partner. When Fran, a klutzy beginner, approaches him, Scott doesn't believe she can make the grade. But once Fran and her family introduce Scott to the vivacious Spanish rhythms and sharply sensuous moves that are part of their culture, he realizes this is the very outlet he's needed for his talents. Together, Fran and Scott boldly challenge the Federation's provincial attitudes, making everyone green with envy.
Personal Triumph |
- Original aspect ratio of 1.85:1.
- Ballroom costume design by Agnus Strathie. Flamenco Dance Tutor was Antonio Vargas.
- "Strictly Ballroom" was originally a staged musical in Sydney.
- Rated BBFC-PG by the British Board of Film Censors.