Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 12 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 1935
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: 1935 short Pitcairn Island Today
- Academy Awards newsreel
- Theatrical trailers of this and the 1962 version
- English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
De Witt Jennings,
Crauford Kent &
James Cagney &
Academy Awards 1935 -
USA Today - 02/03/2004
"Clark Gable is excellent..."
Premiere - 05/01/2004
"Clark Gable gives a yeomanlike performance....It's Charles Laughton's dead-on portrayal of the ruthless Captain Bligh that lingers on."
This is the classic (and true) tale of the mutiny that took place on the HMS Bounty, led by the courageous and dashing Fletcher Christian. The sailors revolt because of the barbaric and merciless way they had been treated during the voyage by the wicked Captain Bligh.
Essential Cinema |
High Seas |
- Three of the films actors (Clark Gable, Charles Laughton, and Franchot Tone) were all nominated for Academy Award.
- MUTNITY ON THE BOUNTY was the second picture directed by Frank Lloyd to win an Oscar for Best Picture; CAVALCADE was the first.
- The budget was close to two million dollars (quite large for the time), much of which was spent shooting background footage in Tahiti and building a historically accurate replica of the HMS Bounty.
- Gable had doubts about taking the role--he was concerned about his ability to manage an English accent and thought he would look silly wearing a pigtail.
- MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY is number 86 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.