- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: November 9, 2010
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Disc one:
- High-definition digital master, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle
- Audio commentary featuring von Trier and film scholar Murray Smith
- Theatrical trailers
- Disc two:
- Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
- Collection of seven video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist through interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team, as well as behind-the-scenes footage
- Chaos reigns at the Cannes film festival, a documentary on the film's world premiere, along with press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/21/2009
3.5 stars out of 4 -- "The actors take the words and actions at face value and invest them with all the conviction they can."
Wall Street Journal - 10/23/2009
"[The cinematographer] has created a succession of somber images that refuse to loosen their grip..."
Rolling Stone - 10/29/2009
"The images will singe your eyeballs. Dafoe and Gainsbourg, who won the Best Actress prize at Cannes, fills the screen with ferocity and feeling."
Movieline - 10/21/2009
"Shooting on high-definition digital, director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle coaxes a textured, layered richness from a limited palette of woodland shadows..."
Total Film - 12/14/2009
4 stars out of 5 -- "It's melodramatic, explicit, bleak -- and it looks and sounds incredible....A harrowing exploration of gender, grief and the power of nature..."
Uncut - 07/24/2009
4 stars out of 5 -- "Von Trier's woodland setting is a palpably creepy setting, evoking everything from Shakespeare's dark, enchanted forests to THE EVIL DEAD."
New York Times - 09/08/2010
"[O]ne of those primal moviegoing experiences that return you to the wonder and fear that, when you first encounter them, make movies so thrilling and terrifying."
Only two actors, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Willem Defoe, inhabit the space of this supernatural thriller directed by Lars Von Trier. The stars play a couple who attempt to grieve for their dead child by living in seclusion in the middle of a forest. But their story does not end there: in the forest, they encounter pure evil in Satan. With Von Trier at the helm, ANTICHRIST promises to be a challenging, intelligent film that doesn't adhere to the conventions of cinema or religion.