Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 2, 2010
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Lions Gate
- Note: Audio commentary with director Russell Mulcahy
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"There can be only one!"
- Connor MacLeod (CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT).
Variety - 03/12/1986
"...Entertaining....The picture is beautifully photographed....Outstanding special effects..."
Sight and Sound - 06/01/2001
"...[This] entertaining fantasy flits between centuries of film-making styles with abandon..."
Russell Mulcahy's original saga of immortal Scotsman Connor Macleod, one of a race of immortals who can only be killed when beheaded with a sword. After living in peace for four centuries, he is challenged by an old enemy named Kurgan.
During a fierce sword battle in the 1500s, Connor MacLeod, a simple Scotsman known as a poor fighter, is mortally wounded -- but he does not die. MacLeod learns from the mysterious Ramirez that he is of a race of immortals. These rare knights never age and never reproduce, they can only meet death by the blade of another of their kind. Leaping back and forth through the centuries, MacLeod once again meets the evil Kurgan who nearly killed him 500 years ago.
- Produced by TESE.
- The Collector's Edition laserdisc (Cat. #LV-25895) includes the director's cut of the film, which is actually the 6-minute longer version released outside the U.S. in 1986. Also included are a running film commentary, by the producers and director Russell Mulcahy, and a CAV supplement containing press releases, background profiles, text and pictures from lost scenes, trailers, and more.
- Although "Highlander" made only $5 million at the U.S. box office, the film grossed almost $70 million overseas. It went on to spawn two sequels, an animated children's television series, a live-action television series on the USA cable network, a series of books, a "Highlander" Web site, a CD-ROM game and a huge merchandising catalogue.