- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: November 2, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Hear Music
Description by OLDIES.com:
DELUXE EDITION: This 3-CD + DVD Deluxe Edition includes a 120-page limited edition (worldwide print run of only 55,000 copies), numbered hardcover book containing many unseen and unpublished photos by Linda McCartney and Clive Arrowsmith, album and single artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album and bonus audio tracks, a full history of the album complete with a new interview with Paul and expanded track by track information for all four discs. The deluxe edition also includes a special Band on the Run audio documentary.
The musical achievement of Band on the Run is nearly matched by the amazing story behind its creation. Intrigued with recording abroad in the summer of 1973, McCartney searched for a list of studios around the world. Spotting one in the remote location of Lagos, Nigeria, he became enthralled with the idea of recording in Africa. Days before departure, lead guitarist Henry McCullough and drummer Denny Seiwell quit the band leaving the entire project to the three core members, Paul, his wife Linda McCartney and band-member Denny Laine (along with recording engineer Geoff Emerick). Recorded in August and September of 1973 (with further work done at AIR Studios in London in October 1973), they persevered through a tumultuous, yet creatively invigorating 2 month recording process battling difficult studio conditions, oppressive heat and a dangerous mugging at knife point. The thieves made off with the demo tapes (among other valuables), forcing the band to record the entire album from memory.
Band on the Run triumphed both critically and commercially. The album topped the US album chart 3 separate times, won a Grammy and went on to sell more than 7 million copies. Upon the release of Band on the Run, then Rolling Stone reviewer Jon Landau famously gushed, "The finest record yet released by any of the four musicians who were once called The Beatles."
This DELUXE EDITION includes the following:
- CD 1 is the original Grammy-winning album, completely remastered.
- CD 2 is bonus audio (featuring nine rare tracks).
- CD 3 is a remastered audio documentary disc, featuring interview contributions from Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney, Denny Laine, Geoff Emetic, Tony Visconti, Al Coury, Clive Arrowsmith, James Coburn, John Conteh, Kenny Lynch, Michael Parkinson, Christopher Lee, Clement Freud and Dustin Hoffman.
- The DVD contains four music videos ("Band on the Run," "Mamunia," Album Promo and "Helen Wheels"), "Wings in Lagos" (rare footage), "Osterley Park" (behind-the-scenes footage at an album cover photo shoot) and One Hand Clapping (a BBC documentary, filmed and recorded at Abbey Road Studios in 1974 that has never aired in the United States.
- Downloadable 24-bit 96kHz high resolution audio tracks of the remastered album and bonus album tracks.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Band On the Run
- 4.Mrs Vandebilt
- 5.Let Me Roll It
- 7.No Words
- 8.Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)
- 9.Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Helen Wheels
- 2.Country Dreamer
- 5.Let Me Roll It
- 6.Band On the Run
- 7.Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
- 8.Country Dreamer
- 9.Zoo Gang
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Paul McCartney (Intro) / Band On the Run [Nicely Toasted Mix] - (remix)
- 2.Band On the Run [Original] (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 1)
- 3.Band On the Run [Barn Rehearsal - 21st July 1989]
- 4.Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 2) / Mamunia [Original] (Background) / Denny Laine (Dialogue) / Mamunia [Original] (Background) / Linda McCartney (Dialogue) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 3)
- 5.Bluebird [Live Version - Australia 1975] (live)
- 6.Bluebird [Original] (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 4)
- 7.Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 5) / No Words [Original] (Background) / Geoff Emerick (Dialogue)
- 8.No Words [Original] / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 6) / Tony Visconti (Dialogue) / Band On the Run [Original] (Illustration) / Tony Visconti (Dialogue)
- 9.Jet (Original From Picasso's Last Words) (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 7) / Jet [Original From Picasso'S Last Words] (Background) / Al Coury (Dialogue)
- 10.Jet [Berlin Soundcheck - 3rd September 1993] (live)
- 11.Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 8) / Clive Arrowsmith (Dialogue)
- 12.Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five [Original] (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 9) / James Coburn (Dialogue) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 10) / John Conteh (Dialogue)
- 13.Mrs Vandebilt [Original] (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 11) / Kenny Lynch (Dialogue)
- 14.Let Me Roll It [Cardington Rehearsal - 5th February 1993] / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 12) (take)
- 15.Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 13) / Mrs Vandebilt [Original] (Background) / Michael Parkinson (Dialogue) / Linda McCartney (Band On the Run Photoshoot) (Dialogue) / Michael Parkinson (Dialogue)
- 16.Helen Wheels (Crazed) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 14) / Christopher Lee (Dialogue)
- 17.Band On the Run (Strum Bit) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 15) / Clement Freud (Dialogue)
- 18.Picasso's Last Words [Original] (Background) / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 16) / Dustin Hoffman (Dialogue)
- 19.Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me) [Acoustic Version]
- 20.Band On the Run [Nicely Toasted Mix] / Paul McCartney (Dialogue Link 17) - (remix)
- 21.Band On the Run [Northern Comic Version]
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Band On the Run
- 3.Album Promo
- 4.Helen Wheels
- 5.Wings In Lagos
- 6.Osterley Park
- 7.One Hand Clapping Theme
- 10.C Moon
- 11.Little Woman Love
- 12.Maybe I'm Amazed
- 13.My Love
- 15.Let's Love
- 16.All of You
- 17.I'll Give You a Ring
- 18.Band On the Run
- 19.Live and Let Die
- 20.Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
- 21.Baby Face
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 89 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,108
- ISBN: 9786313813889
- UPC: 888072325654
- Shipping Weight: 2.61/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 6 items