Lloyd Cole Rattlesnakes [Deluxe Edition] (2-CD)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
Uncut - p.1324 stars out of 5 - "RATTLESNAKES has a rare sumptuousness....[It] remains a delirious swagbag, ripe for reappraisal."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1264 stars out of 5 - "Anne Dudley's string arrangements made all the difference between a good indie album and a timeless pop album..."
NME (Magazine) - 9/25/93, p.19Ranked #33 in NME's list of The 50 Greatest Albums Of The '80s.
- 1.Perfect Skin
- 4.Down On Mission Street
- 5.Forest Fire (Extended Version)
- 6.Charlotte Street
- 8.Four Flights Up
- 10.Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?
- 11.Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken - Demo
- 12.Perfect Skin - Demo
- 13.Glory - Live At Nightmoves 1984
- 14.Beautiful City - Live At The Marquee 1984
- 15.Charlotte Street - Live At The Marquee 1984
- 16.Sweetness - Live At The Barrowlands 1985
- 17.2cv - Live At The Barrowlands 1985
- 18.Patience - Saturday Live - BBC Radio 1 Session 1984
- 19.Forest Fire - Richard Skinner Session - BBC Radio 1 Session 1984
- 20.Speedboat - Richard Skinner Session - BBC Radio 1 Session 1984
- 21.Rattlesnakes - Richard Skinner Session - BBC Radio 1 Session 1984
- 22.Sea & The Sand, The (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 23.You Will Never Be No Good (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 24.Andy's Babies (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 25.Glory (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 26.Sweetness (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 27.Beautiful City (Rattlesnakes Recording) (B-Sides & Outtakes)
- 28.Jesus Said (B-Sides & Outtakes)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions: Lloyd Cole (vocals, guitar); Neil Clark (guitar); Blair Cowan (keyboards); Lawrence Donegan (bass); Stephen Irvine (drums, tambourine).
Arguably one of the finest British pop albums of the '80s, 1984's RATTLESNAKES is the brilliant debut of one of the finest singer-songwriters of the decade. Coming right at a point when synth-pop's domination of the UK charts was ending and a new breed of guitar-based pop bands led by the Smiths and Aztec Camera were the new British wave, RATTLESNAKES had the force of a major new work, and still holds up better than most of its contemporaries.
Cole's literate--at times self-consciously so--lyrics, and chiming, folk-rocky tunes are outstanding, and his terrific voice and lead guitarist Neil Clark's exceptional instrumental work put over the songs brilliantly. Fully half of these songs, including the Dylanesque "Perfect Skin" and the moody, romantic "Forest Fire," with Clark's remarkable ending solo, are all-time Britpop classics. Cole would do standout work after this, but RATTLESNAKES is simply perfect.
Don't Look Back: An Introduction to Lloyd Cole and Lloyd... (CD)
$8.98 Super Savings
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Live (The Marquee London... (DVD)(2)
$5.06 Super Savings
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!