- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 28, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Dreamworks Video
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- English Subtitled, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
Additional Release Material:
- Additional Footage - Stranz and Fairchild Watch Kate's Video
- Chazz Offers the Verticoli, Flashback
- Blades of Glory Song
- Hector Shoots Darre
- Alternate Takes
- Bloopers - Gag Reel
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurettes - Return to Glory: The Making of "Blades"
- Celebrities On Thin Ice
- Cooler Than Ice: The Super-Sexy Costumes of Skating
- Arnett and Poehler - A Family Affair
- 20 Questions with Scott Hamilton
- Hector: Portrait of a Psychofan
- Music Videos - "Blades of Glory" by Bo Bice
- Moviephone unscripted with Will Ferrell, Jon Heder and Will Arnett
- MTV Interstitials (3):
- Stranz & Fairchild
- Theatrical Trailer
- Kick Some Ice (34 images)
- Capture The Dream (37 images)
- Costume Glory (3 parts)
- Mind Bottling (27 images)
- Provocative (28 images)
- BOOOOOM (28 images
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 03/30/3007
"Mr. Ferrell and Mr. Heder strike an early claim to being the comedy couple of the year..."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/06/2007
"[Arnett] gives his evil skating dandy a touch of antic depravity....BLADES OF GLORY has funny moves..."
Box Office - 06/01/2007
"Paired with Jon Heder as the first male-male figure skating team, Will Ferrell cuts a funny figure..."
Sight and Sound - 06/01/2007
"[A]n enjoyably silly send-up of the preening Lycra-clad antics of the ice-skating world."
Ultimate DVD - 08/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "The skating sequences are hilarious, and the two leads play off each other beautifully....This is a gem of a comedy that you'll want to watch over and over."
Two comedic heavy hitters, Will Ferrell (ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY) and Jon Heder (NAPOLEON DYNAMITE), join forces to push the boundaries of slapstick with their ice-skating farce, BLADES OF GLORY. Rival skaters Chazz Michael Michaels (Ferrell) and Jimmy MacElroy (Heder) begrudgingly set out to attempt a historical comeback in the pair-skating program after being banned in the men's figure skating category after an unsportsmanlike scuffle. MacElroy's former coach (Craig T. Nelson) provides them with the tough-love coaching they so desperately need. Despite their absurdity, the duo aren't previous award winners for nothing, and their combined talent threatens the position of fellow American skating champions--brother and sister pair-skating team Stranz and Fairchild Van Waldenberg, who are played by real-life husband and wife Will Arnett (ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT) and Amy Poehler (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE). But while Stranz and Fairchild Van Waldenberg may turn on the charm for their adoring public, they reveal their true colors as they connive to sabotage Michaels and MacElroy in their efforts to regain the championship.
Ferrell's turn as the loud-talking, ego-swelling, hard-partying sex-addict skater is an abrasive and shrilling contrast to Heder's innocent, cherub-faced prodigal son. Poehler and Arnett are splendid as the biting antagonists, and demonstrate a masterful understanding of how to portray characters full of spite and self-indulgence. BLADES OF GLORY is full of gut-busting wisecracks and painfully funny imagery, and will undoubtedly leave fans hoping that Ferrell and Heder will team up again for more hilarity and outlandish entertainment.
Slapstick Comedy |
- Theatrical Release: March 30, 2007