The Flaming Lips The Soft Bulletin
|You Save:||$1.80 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 22, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Spin - 7/99, pp.126-79 (out of 10) - "...THE SOFT BULLETIN may be the most extraordinary rock record you'll hear all year....a symphonic work of fully realized cosmic pop, full of surging sweeping melodicism and expansive, heart tugging tunes..."
Entertainment Weekly - 7/9/99, p.78"...a vertiginous rainbow swirl that crams so many ideas into so many tight spaces that each track is like a perfectly rendered Joseph Cornell box..." - Rating: A
Q - 1/00, p.84Included in Q Magazine's "50 Best Albums of 1999."
CMJ - 1/10/00, p.3Ranked #2 in CMJ's "Top 30 Editorial Picks [for 1999]."
CMJ - 6/28/99, p.5"...may be the Lips' most challenging, yet still wonderfully exaggerated and far-reaching to date....The group's spaced-out moments, which came off as compelling little accidents in the past, are now more lucid, moody and colorful than ever..."
Melody Maker - 5/15/99, p.364 stars (out of 5) - "...THE SOFT BULLETIN is a smart, snappy record full of great tunes..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.66Ranked #6 in Mojo's "100 Modern Classics" -- "[U]plifting, orchestral swell and joyful psych experiments."
Mojo (Publisher) - 1/00, p.31Ranked #6 in Mojo Magazine's "Best of 1999."
Mojo (Publisher) - 7/99, p.97"...a stately parade of sound...Very curious, very gripping, very fine."
NME (Magazine) - 5/8/99, p.389 out of 10 - "...a joyous, celestial celebration of sound. Rhythmic and piano-laden, it's heavenly in both its conception and execution..."
- 1.Race for the Prize - (remix)
- 2.A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
- 3.The Spark That Bled
- 4.The Spiderbite Song
- 5.Buggin' - (remix)
- 6.What Is the Light?
- 7.The Observer
- 8.Waitin' for a Superman
- 9.Suddenly Everything Has Changed
- 10.The Gash
- 11.Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
- 12.Sleeping on the Roof
- 13.Race for the Prize
- 14.Waitin' for a Superman - (remix)
The Flaming Lips: Michael Ivins (vocals, guitar, bass); Steven Drozd (vocals, guitar, drums); Wayne Coyne (vocals, guitar).
Additional personnel: Scott Bennett (bass).
Producers: The Flaming Lips, Dave Fridmann, Scott Booker.
Recorded in Cassadaga, New York, New York between April 1997 and February 1999.
The Flaming Lips: Steven Drozd (vocals, guitar, drums); Michael Ivins (vocals, guitars, bass guitar); Wayne Coyne (vocals, guitars).
Recording information: 04/1997-02/1999.
With their multi-disc opus ZAIREEKA (four CDs meant to be played simultaneously on four different players), the Flaming Lips radically expanded the scope of their melancholy psychedelia, as pop tunes became modernist soundscapes, part-Pink Floyd, part-John Cage. Obviously, the experience greatly influenced the band's direction, because on THE SOFT BULLETIN the Lips again scrap the guitar-bass-drum rock standard, sculpting instead a huge hi-fi record akin to a post-modern PET SOUNDS with the vision of a humanist OK COMPUTER.
Long-time producer and Mercury Rev studio savant Dave Fridmann helps with the completion of a Spectorian sonic canvas, full of epic gestures (glorious sweeping strings arrangements) and brilliant details (well-placed thematic samples). The music adds a context of grandeur to Coyne's lyrics of Zen and the cosmic joke. Songs like "Superman," "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" and a half-dozen others, hint at the hopelessness of life's outcome while maintaining a sense of faith (a common Lips theme). THE SOFT BULLETIN raises such pre-millennial realist/fantasy notions in the midst of a 90s "Tomorrow Never Knows," and in the process setting a high bar for the last great rock-era records of the 20th century.
The Flaming LipsThe Flaming Lips And Stardeath And White Dwarfs With Henry...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 346 ratings.
Based on 346 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - For Lovers Only, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE