The Flaming Lips Clouds Taste Metallic
15 copies available
|You Save:||$0.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 1, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Spin - 11/95, p.1267 - Flawed Yet Worthy - "...their world is full of bubbles, Ferris wheels, and flying saucers....their lyrics are seldom without some gentle-but-pointed metaphor or reproof....the Lips are...a unique voice within the post-grunge nightmare of soundalike alternative rock, creating a rarefied musical atmosphere full of humanity, kindness and humor..."
Q - 8/02, p.62"...A daring, headness of a record, trading in jaunty pop, most notably 'This Here Giraffe'..."
Melody Maker - 12/23-30/95, pp.66-67Ranked #12 on Melody Maker's list of 1995's 'Albums Of The Year.'
Musician - 11/95, pp.86-87"...stands as their best Warners album....frontman Wayne Coyne finally locates the distinction between sophomoric self-indulgence and creative playfulness..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 7/02, p.60"...Lots of confidence..."
- 1.The Abandoned Hospital Ship
- 2.Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles
- 3.Placebo Headwound
- 4.This Here Giraffe
- 6.Guy Who Got a Headache and Accidentally Saves the World
- 7.When You Smile
- 8.Kim's Watermelon Gun
- 9.They Punctured My Yolk
- 10.Lightning Strikes the Postman
- 11.Christmas at the Zoo
- 12.Evil Will Prevail
- 13.Bad Days - (Aurally Excited Version mix, aurally excited version)
The Flaming Lips: Wayne Coyne, Michael Ivins, Steven Drozd, Ronald Jones.
Audio Remixers: Dave Fridmann; The Flaming Lips.
Recording information: Chicago Recording Company, Chicago, IL.
Photographers: Michelle Martin; Gwendolyn A. Dobbs.
CLOUDS TASTE METALLIC is the seventh Flaming Lips record, and it is a far looser and more relaxed affair than anything that preceded it. The weirdness flows out of head-Lip Wayne Coyne's head as it always has done, but this is a record by a band that no longer has anything to prove--not to themselves, their record label, nor their fans. With sparser instrumentation than before, Coyne's voice is both more intelligible and closer to the front of the mix, and the effects, though still present, are more restrained.
Standouts on this record include the countrified slide guitar on "Placebo Headwound"; the genuinely sweet "This Here Giraffe," which comes complete with flutes and a xylophone and sounds like the theme to a particularly strange television show; "They Punctured My Yolk," which sounds bizarrely like a freaked-out version of "Seasons in the Sun"; and the supremely laid-back "Evil Will Prevail," with its gloriously swelling final verse. CLOUDS TASTE METALLIC is a nice record in the best sense of the word, and a good place to begin investigating the Lips.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 48 ratings.
Based on 48 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists 70S #1 Hits (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE