Jazz the World Forgot, Volume 1: Jazz Classics of the 1920's
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Various Artists ~ Before the Blues, Volume 1: The Early American Black Music Scene ~ $16.18
- by Various Artists ~ Jazz the World Forgot, Volume 2 ~ $16.18
- by Various Artists ~ Mississippi Masters: Early American Blues Classics 1927-1935 ~ $16.18
- Released: October 15, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Yazoo
JazzTimes - 4/97, pp.87-88"...a degree of sensibility to specialist collectors' needs that is seldom, if ever, in evidence on similar productions by major labels....almost everything included in the set can be assumed to be new to classic jazz collections begun in the CD era, not to mention many historically comprehensive LP collections..."
- 1.To-WA-Bac-a-WA - Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight
- 2.Happy Pal Stomp - Roy Johnson's Happy Pals
- 3.Goin' Crazy With the Blues - Mamie Smith
- 4.Over in the Gloryland - Sam Morgan's Jazz Band
- 5.Mojo Strut - Pickett-Parham Apollo Syncopaters
- 6.Four Four Rhythm - Paul Tremaine & His Aristocrats
- 7.Boy in the Boat, The - Charlie Johnson & His Paradise Band
- 8.She's Sweeter Than Sugar - Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra
- 9.Florida Rhythm - Ross De Luxe Syncopaters
- 10.Texas and Pacific Blues - Frenchy's String Band
- 11.Hot and Heavy - Ben Tobier & His California Cyclones
- 12.Everybody Loves My Baby - Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers
- 13.Hot and Heavy - Ben Tobier & His California Cyclones
- 14.Percolatin' Blues - Fowler's Favorites
- 15.Slowin' Down Blues - Oliver Naylor's Orchestra
- 16.While You're Sneakin' Out (Somebody Else Is Eazin' in) - George McClennon's Jazz Devils
- 17.Hard Luck - Floyd Mills & His Marylanders
- 18.Postage Stomp - Maynard Baird & His Orchestra
- 19.Mabel's Dream - King Oliver
- 20.I'll Fly to Hawaii - Brad Gowans' Rhapsody Makers
- 21.Arkansas Shout - His Bamville Syncopators / Sammy Lewis
- 22.Lot's O' Mama - The Hotentots
- 23.Somebody Stole My Gal - Frankie Franko & His Louisianians
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Compilation producers: Sherwin Dunner, Richard Nevins.
Recorded in the 1920s and 1930s.
The vintage music on this first of two CDs put out in 1996 by Yazoo is consistently enjoyable and heated. Unfortunately, the rather random selection of 23 selections by 23 bands, although full of hot obscurities, does not include complete sessions, is not programmed in chronological order, and (most inexcusably) does not give the personnel or exact dates. So what should have been an essential acquisition ends up being a worthwhile sampler that will force serious collectors to consult their discographies. But musically, there are quite a few memorable moments. Included on this CD are one selection apiece by Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight, Roy Johnson's Happy Pals, Mamie Smith, Sam Morgan, the Pickett-Parham Apollo Syncopators, Paul Tremaine's Aristocrats (the classic "Four-Four Rhythm"), Charlie Johnson, Bennie Moten, the Ross De Luxe Syncopators, Frenchy's String Band, Taylor's Dixie Serenaders, Jelly Roll Morton, Ben Tobier's California Cyclones, Fowler's Favorites, Oliver Naylor, George McClennon's Jazz Devils, Floyd Mills' Marylanders, Maynard Baird, King Oliver, Gowan's Rhapsody Makers, Sammie Lewis' Bamville Syncopators, the Hotentots and Frankie Franko. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE