Johnnie Ray Live at the London Palladium
- Released: August 28, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Bear Family
- 1.Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
- 2.Glad Rag Doll
- 3.A Hundred Years From Today
- 4.Somebody Stole My Gal
- 5.With These Hands
- 6.Walkin' My Baby Back Home
- 7.As Time Goes By
- 8.Such a Night
- 9.The Little White Cloud That Cried / Cry / I'm Gonna Walk And Talk With My Lord
Recorded in London in 1954.
Includes a 20-page booklet.
This is an odd little document of a period in pop music that didn't leave behind too many concert recordings, though Johnnie Ray left more than his share, what with At the Desert Inn in Las Vegas and this little gem. Johnnie Ray's opening night at the London Palladium on April 5, 1954, was recorded live and released exclusively in England on the Philips label, where it was accompanied by a single of his concert rendition of "As Time Goes By." The sound is a little uneven, partly owing to technical shortcomings and the logistics of cutting Ray, who was highly animated on-stage when he wasn't at the piano and used a uniquely small-size microphone, trailing it all over the stage, plus the presence of a house band (the Sky Rockets under Eric Rogers) that was more than a little ragged. One gets a real sense of how animated Ray was, as he bounds from Nat King Cole-style soft pop to ebullient gospel-style numbers; he was the Elvis Presley of his day, teasing and rousing the female portion of the audience (who are frenzied throughout), although this performance makes a little less use of jazz and blues influences than some of his official recordings of the period. The hits are nicely represented, including "Cry" and "Walkin' My Baby Back Home," but it is some of the lesser-known numbers, like "A Hundred Years From Today," that give this disc its real value. Ray is magnificent, though the band is strictly from hunger and one wishes that he'd stuck more to his jazz and blues repertory, but fans will still love this obscure document from his British catalog. ~ Bruce Eder
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...(4)
$9.98 on SALE
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(25)
$3.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$334.79 Super Savings
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)(8)
$41.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE