Manny Albam Jazz Workshop [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$12.62 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.37 (26% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Manny Albam ~ Jazz Greats of Our Time: Complete Recordings (2-CD) ~ $20.69
- Released: June 5, 2006
- Label: Lonehill Jazz Spain
- 1.Anything Goes
- 3.Black Bottom
- 4.The Changing Scene
- 5.The Turning Point
- 7.Diga Diga Doo
- 8.Royal Garden Blues
- 9.Swingin' on a Star
- 11.Ferris Wheel
- 13.First Movement: Dancers on Drums
- 14.Second Movement: Bristling
- 15.Third Movement: Chants of the Witch Doctors
- 16.Fourth Movement: Skinning the Valves
- 17.Fifth Movement: Cymbalisms
- 18.Sixth Movement: The Octopus
Includes 6 bonus tracks.
Personnel: Freddie Green (guitar); Jerry Sanfino, Hal McKusick, Raymond Beckenstein, Sam Marowitz (alto saxophone); Al Epstein, Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Joe Ferrante , Conte Candoli, Ernie Royal, Joe Newman Quartet , Bernie Glow, Thad Jones, Nick Travis, Jimmy Nottingham (trumpet); John Barrows, James Buffington (French horn); Fred Ohms, Tom Mitchell Jr., Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green, Billy Byers, Chauncey Welsch (trombone); Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone); Eddie Costa (piano, vibraphone); Hank Jones (piano); Marty Wilson (vibraphone); Don Lamond, Gus Johnson , Osie Johnson, Todd Sommer (drums).
Liner Note Author: Leonard Feather.
Recording information: New York, NY (12/24/1955-03/07/1956).
Arrangers: Ernie Wilkins; Manny Albam.
As an arranger and bandleader, the works of Manny Albam seem better appreciated by jazz musicians than by record labels and the jazz-buying public. This RCA Victor LP collects three separate octets recorded over the span of a few days in December 1955, divided evenly between Albam's swinging originals and imaginative charts of standards ("Anything Goes") and oldies like "Black Bottom" and "Charmaine." The band is anchored by bassist Milt Hinton and drummer Osie Johnson, with a rotating cast of soloists who include Bob Brookmeyer, Urbie Green, Hank Jones, Al Cohn, Hal McKusick, and Joe Newman, among others. At least French RCA Victor made this valuable date available on LP for a time during the 1970s, but it has long since lapsed from print, and will be tough to locate, like far too many records by Manny Albam. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE