Shuggie Otis In Session: Great Rhythm & Blues
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ Stax 50th Anniversary Celebration (2-CD) ~ $17.98
- Released: August 23, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Cleopatra
- 1.Doin It - (with Richard Berry)
- 2.Trackin Machine - (with Richard Berry)
- 3.Louie, Louie - (with Richard Berry)
- 4.Willie And The Hand Jive - (with Johnny Otis)
- 5.Country Girl - (with Johnny Otis)
- 6.Bad Luck Shadow - (with Johnny Otis)
- 7.Shake Rattle And Roll - (with Big Joe Turner)
- 8.TV Mama - (with Big Joe Turner)
- 9.Big Legged Woman - (with Charles Brown)
- 10.Driftin Blues - (with Louis Jordan)
- 11.Choo Choo Choo Boogie - (with Louis Jordan)
- 12.I Got The Walkin Blues - (with Louis Jordan)
- 13.The Honeydrippers (Part 1) - (with Joe Liggins & The HoneyDrippers)
- 14.Boom-Chick-A-Boogie - (with Honeydrippers)
- 15.Chicken Shack Boogie - (with Amos Milburn)
- 16.One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer - (with Amos Milburn)
- 17.Did You Ever Love A Woman - (with Gatemouth Moore)
- 18.I'm The Midnight Creeper - (with Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson)
- 19.Sugar - (with Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson)
- 20.Texas Hop - (with Pee Wee Crayton)
- 21.Blues After Hours - (with Pee Wee Crayton)
- 22.I Got A Big Fat Mama - (with Roy Milton)
- 23.Information Blues - (with Roy Milton)
IN SESSION is a compilation of Shuggie Otis' session work as guitarist, bassist and engineer on various classic Rhythm & Blues tracks.
Personnel includes: Shuggie Otis (guitar, piano, organ, bass, background vocals); Pee Wee Crayton (vocals, guitar); Louis Jordan (vocals, alto saxophone); Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson (vocals, saxophone); Johnny Otis (vocals, piano, Fender Rhodes piano, vibraphone, drums); Charles Brown (vocals, piano, organ); Gatemouth Moore, Amos Milburn, Joe Liggins (vocals, piano); Richard Berry (vocals, keyboards); Roy Milton, Big Joe Turner (vocals); Melvin Wonder (guitar); Clifford Solomon (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Irv Cox, Jack Kelso (tenor saxophone); Big Jim Wynn (baritone saxophone); Bob Mitchell, Mark Johnson (trumpet); Gene Conners (trombone); Larry Reed (piano); Edgar Willis (bass); Hootie Galvan (drums).
Producer: Johnny Otis.
Compilation Brian Perera, Athan Maroulis.
Recorded at Hawksound Studios, Los Angles, California between 1973 & 1977. Includes liner notes by Athan Maroulis.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Shuggie Otis (guitar, piano, organ, bass guitar); Gatemouth Moore, Joe Liggins, Amos Milburn (vocals, piano); Richard Berry (vocals, keyboards); Delmar Evans, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Pee Wee Crayton, Roy Milton, Big Joe Turner (vocals); Johnny Otis (guitar, piano, Fender Rhodes piano, vibraphone, bass guitar, drums); Melvin Wonder (guitar); Rene Bloch (reeds); Freddy Clark (saxophone); Little Willie Jackson (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Louis Jordan (alto saxophone); Clifford Solomon (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Jack Kelso, Irv Cox (tenor saxophone); Big Jim Wynn (baritone saxophone); Mack Johnson, Bob Mitchell (trumpet); Gene Connors (trombone); John Ewing (brass); Preston Love, Doug Wintz, Melvin Moore (horns); Edgar Willis (bass guitar); Hootie Galvan (drums); Bobby Bloom.
Taken from recordings made during the mid-1970s, IN SESSION features Shuggie Otis playing guitar in his father Johnny Otis's band. Those seeking more of the funky, psychedelic soul found on Otis's excellent INSPIRATION INFORMATION should be forewarned that they won't find it here. This is Otis as a session man, filling out a project called "the Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies" show, spearheaded by his father. The recordings features R&B icons like Louis Jordan and Richard Berry reprising their classic hits (many of which were written or co-written by Otis Sr.). While the tracks don't deliver the kaleidoscopic delights of Shuggie Otis's solo work, IN SESSION is still a satisfying dose of straightforward, soulful '70s R&B.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!