David Essex The Best of David Essex
- Released: December 16, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Columbia Europe
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Hold Me Close
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Rock On
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Gonna Make You A Star
- $0.99 on iTunes4.If I Could
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Lamplight
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Coming Home
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Cool Out Tonight
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Bring In The Sun
- $0.99 on iTunes9.For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Rolling Stone
- $0.99 on iTunes11.City Lights
- $0.99 on iTunes12.On And On
- $0.99 on iTunes13.America
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Turn Me Loose
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Good Ol' Rock & Roll
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This 16-track release by '70s British glam rocker David Essex includes his hits "Hold Me Close," "Gonna Make You A Star," and "Rock On."
Personnel: David Essex (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Johnny Black.
Documenting the five years David Essex spent at CBS during the mid-'70s, The Best of David Essex is the best ever document of the halcyon days when just about anything with his name on it was guaranteed a roost near the top of the U.K. chart. Opening with the biggest one of the lot, 1975's U.K. chart-topping "Hold Me Close," it then marches resolutely (if not chronologically) through a hit parade that is almost unparalleled, for quality if nothing else. From 1973's immortal "Rock On" to 1977's "Cool Out Tonight" (a song that is, thankfully, a lot more memorable than its title), 11 singles are then neatly complemented with five more key album cuts, all but one spun off his debut. That the end result is most heavily weighted toward Essex's most influential (not to mention successful) period is another point in its favor, although the greatest benefit is probably derived from the stark realization of just how all-powerful the young Essex was. He scored no more than two number ones ("Gonna Make You a Star" was the other) and just four more Top Tenners ("Rock On," "Lamplight," "Stardust," and "Rolling Stone"). But he dominated the teen mags of the age, and he starred in two of the greatest rock & roll movies ever made, That'll Be the Day and Stardust. In other words, a little went a long way, in the nicest possible meaning of the phrase -- and that economy renders this a one-stop that you'll never want to leave. ~ Dave Thompson
Top of The Pop Hits - The 70s, Volume 2 (6-CD Box Set /...
$22.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE