Millie Jackson Caught Up
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.90 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.09 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 5, 2006
- Label: Westbound Uk
Spin - p.122"The husky-voiced poet/philosopher of adultery made her bad-girl name with this raw concept LP."
Uncut - p.864 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he Muscle Shoals rhythms section smooth out their sound, leaving all the grit to come from Jackson's passionate, painfully honest and downright scary vocals."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1244 stars out of 5 -- "[With] a potent five-minute 'The Rap' that set a standard for emotional monologues in soul..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 8/02, p.27"...As her honest expose of a love triangle unfolded...so Millie's unmistakable talent shone through. Her monologues were ad-libbed, her choice of covers impeccable...while her own songs were spot on..."
- 1.(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right
- 2.The Rap
- 3.(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right (Reprise)
- 4.All I Want Is A Fighting Chance
- 5.I’m Tired Of Hiding
- 6.It’s All Over But The Shouting
- 7.So Easy Going, So Hard Coming Back
- 8.I’m Through Trying To Prove My Love To You
- 9.Summer (The First Time)
- 10.I’m Tired Of Hiding (Alternate ‘Live’ Vocal)
- 11.I’m Through Trying To Prove My Love To You (Alternate ‘Live’ Vocal)
- 12.Feel Like Making Love (Alternate ‘Live’ Vocal)
- 13.A House For Sale (Instrumental Version)
This release presents songs by R&B/soul singer Millie Jackson.
Taking the drama of a love triangle to logical extremes, Millie Jackson's Caught Up turns the pitfalls of tainted love into the basis for a concept album (the seeds for soul music's explicit treatment of the topic having been planted by James Carr's "Dark End of the Street"). While the "other woman's" view is taken up initially on cuts like the R&B hit "If Loving You Is Wrong I Don't Want to Be Right," the wife's plight is covered on the second half of the disc with revealing titles like "It's All Over but the Shouting." Jackson also delivers some of her patented racy commentary on the appropriately named "The Rap," while showing equal vigor in the album's wealth of fine vocal performances, including an impressive cover of Bobby Womack's "I'm Through Trying to Prove My Love to You." Caught Up's standout track, though, is the version of Bobby Goldsboro's "Summer" that closes the record. Seemingly out of sync with the overriding concept, the song touches upon a girl's loss of innocence to an older man. One soon realizes, though, that beyond sexual awakening, Jackson is really emphasizing the point of no return: After the epiphany, one is sent hurdling toward the power struggles and politics of adult relations, including, potentially, the moral crossroads of infidelity. Luckily, as soon as your mind overloads from pop semiotics, the in-the-pocket grooves supplied by the Muscle Shoals Swampers provides the needed salve. Jackson shows both brains and soul on this fine release, creating what might be the only concept album one can dance and drink to. ~ Stephen Cook
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE