One From The Heart (Featuring Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle) (180GV)
by Various Artists
Vinyl LP Details
- Released: April 7, 2011
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Music On Vinyl
Rolling Stone - 3/4/04, p.644 stars out of 5 - "[A] smooth-sailing counterpart to a beautiful car crash of a movie....this is [Tom Waits's] sweetest jazz, and duetting partner Crystal Gayle similarly turns in her juiciest performance ever."
Entertainment Weekly - 10/12/01, p.86Ranked #99 in EW's "100 Best Movie Soundtracks" - "...Easy listening for the 3 am closing time of your soul..."
Q - p.44"[S]ublime....Woozily re-imagines the Hollywood musical's golden age as a romantic noir nirvana."
Uncut - 4/04, p.985 stars out of 5 - "It's the best thing Waits has ever done....Beyond all doubt the most integral and affecting soundtrack of the last quarter-century."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.764 stars out of 5 -- "A beautiful album, it retains an extra power for being the final, heartfelt appearance of romantic Tom..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/02, p.67Included in Mojo's "100 Coolest Movie Soundtracks" - "...the songs are memorable and the best jazzers on the West Coast provide the surroundings..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1073 stars out of 5 - "Sharing the vocals with Crystal Gayle helps sweeten the mix but the smart money's on the grizzled one."
- 1.Opening Montage ([5:15]) (Medley)
- 2.Is There Any Way Out of This Dream? ([2:12])
- 3.Picking Up After You ([3:52])
- 4.Old Boyfriends ([5:52])
- 5.Broken Bicycles ([2:51])
- 6.I Beg Your Pardon ([4:26])
- 7.Little Boy Blue ([3:41])
- 8.Instrumental Montage ([2:59]) (Medley)
- 9.You Can't Unring A Bell ([2:18])
- 10.This One's From The Heart ([5:44])
- 11.Take Me Home ([1:35])
- 12.Presents ([1:01])
Original score composed by Tom Waits. Performed by Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle.
Recorded at Wally Heider Recording, Hollywood, California.
Tom Waits provided a colorful soundtrack for this 1982 Coppola film. These songs provide an important bridge between Waits' '70s work and the breakthrough of the following year's SWORDFISHTROMBONES. Many of the tunes are in the romantic ballad mode, jazzy torch songs based around Waits' piano and occasionally a sympathetic orchestra. Thanks to the contextual constrictions, ONE FROM THE HEART finds Waits at his most lyrically straightforward as he spars with an unlikely duet partner, Crystal Gayle. Surprisingly, Gayle's smooth, liquid tenor contrasts perfectly with Waits' gritty baritone rasp, the ultimate Beauty and the Beast situation. When the arrangements get a little more adventurous in the album's second half, it's like a finger pointing the way to the wild artistic freedom of SWORDFISHTROMBONES, but this album is full of affectingly beautiful songs that make it intrinsically desirable.
Hawaiian Eye (Original Music & Stars From The TV Show) (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
- Sales Rank: 77,828
- UPC: 8713748980917
- Shipping Weight: 0.50/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Rock & Pop: Film Composers Music Categories:
- Aaron Zigman The Ugly Truth [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (CD) ~ $19.88 CYBER WEEK
- Bryan Adams / Hans Zimmer Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Music from the Original Motion Picture) (CD) ~ $9.72 CYBER WEEK
- Woody Allen Woody Allen More Movie Music (CD) ~ $11.69 CYBER WEEK
- Alvin & the Chipmunks Alvin and the Chipmunks [Original Soundtrack] (CD) ~ $5.38 CYBER WEEK
- Michael Andrews Donnie Darko [Original Motion Picture Score] (CD) ~ $12.87 CYBER WEEK