Elvis Presley From Elvis in Memphis [Legacy Edition] (2-CD)
Only 9 copies left
|You Save:||$1.29 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: July 27, 2009
- Label: Sony Legacy
Rolling Stone - p.824.5 stars out of 5 -- "What makes these sessions remarkable: the newfound maturity and soulfulness in Elvis' vocals, and producer Chips Moman's warm, distinctly Southern musical backing."
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.136Ranked #190 in Rolling Stone's "The 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time"
Rolling Stone - 8/2/01, p.665 stars out of 5 - "...The studio sine qua non of his late-Sixties comeback period: new as polyester yet old as leather, religiously involved yet flashy as neon, refined like pop yet savage like rock & roll..."
Q (Magazine) - p.1254 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he results were the closest he came to realising his all-embracing vision of American music."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.914 stars out of 5 -- "[A] portrait of a mature, richer-voiced talent that had the relocated the ability to leave listeners awestruck."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Wearin' That Loved On Look
- 2.Only The Strong Survive
- 3.I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms)
- 4.Long Black Limousine
- 5.It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
- 6.I'm Movin' On
- 7.Power Of My Love
- 8.Gentle On My Mind
- 9.After Loving You
- 10.True Love Travels On A Gravel Road
- 11.Any Day Now
- 12.In The Ghetto
- 13.I'll Be There [Digitally Remastered]
- 14.Hey Jude [Digitally Remastered]
- 15.If I'm A Fool (For Loving You) [Digitally Remastered]
- 16.Who Am I? [Digitally Remastered]
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Inherit The Wind [Digitally Remastered]
- 2.This Is The Story [Digitally Remastered]
- 3.Stranger In My Own Home Town [Digitally Remastered]
- 4.A Little Bit Of Green [Digitally Remastered]
- 5.And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind [Digitally Remastered]
- 6.Do You Know Who I Am [Digitally Remastered]
- 7.From A Jack To A King [Digitally Remastered]
- 8.The Fair Is Moving On [Digitally Remastered]
- 9.You'll Think Of Me [Digitally Remastered]
- 10.Without Love (There Is Nothing) [Digitally Remastered]
- 11.In The Ghetto
- 12.Any Day Now
- 13.Suspicious Minds
- 14.Don't Cry Daddy
- 16.Kentucky Rain
- 17.My Little Friend
- 18.Mama Liked The Roses
Personnel: Elvis Presley (vocals, guitar, piano); Reggie Young (guitar); John Hughey (steel guitar); The Memphis Horns (horns); Bobby Wood (piano); Bobby Emmons (organ); Ed Hollis (harmonica); Mike Leech, Tom Cogbill (bass); Gene Chrisman (drums); Mary Greene, Donna Thatcher, Susan Pilkington, Sonja Montgomery, Mildred Kirkham, Dolores Edgin, Joe Babcock, Hurschel Wiginton (background vocals).
Recorded at American Studios, Memphis, Tennessee in January & February 1969. Includes liner notes by Peter Guralnick, Colin Escott.
Personnel: Elvis Presley (guitar, piano); Reggie Young (guitar, sitar); John Hughey (steel guitar); Ed Kollis (harmonica); Jackie Thomas (saxophone, trombone); Andrew Lowe , Glen Spreen, J.P. Luper (saxophone); R.F. Taylor, Dick Steff, Wayne Jackson (trumpet); Tony Cason (French horn); Gerald Richardson , Ed Logan, Jack Hale (trombone); Bobby Wood (piano); Bobby Emmons (organ); Gene Chrisman (drums).
Liner Note Author: Tara McAdams.
Recording information: 01/13/1969-02/22/1969.
One month after Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special aired on national television, Presley made the most artistically successful recordings of his later career. In January and February of 1969, he held sessions at American Studios in Memphis. Presley was reportedly worried that his recording career was finished, that he had been displaced by newcomers such as the Beatles. Perhaps goaded on by this perception, Presley reached new heights during the American sessions.
The material he chose was impassioned, gritty, and bluesy, the complete opposite of the movie songs he had sung for most of the previous decade. A slight case of laryngitis actually improved his performances, lending his voice an appropriate roughness. Many of the best recordings from these sessions appear on FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, including the hit "In the Ghetto." FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS demonstrates how thoroughly Presley could remake a song to suit his talents, especially on the country standards "Long Black Limousine" and "I'll Hold You In My Heart," which he transforms into R&B screamers. This is intense, heartfelt, adult music, much like the blues Presley loved as a kid on Beale Street.
Elvis PresleyThe Collection: Elvis Presley / Elvis / Loving You (3-CD...
Elvis PresleyElvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (2-LPs - 180GV)
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 32 ratings.
Based on 32 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - For Lovers Only, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE