Jackie Coon The Joys of New Orleans
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.82 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.17 (29% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Jackie Coon ~ Softly ~ $7.82
- Released: February 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Arbors Records
- 1.The Second Line
- 2.Once in a While
- 3.The Winnin' Boy Blues
- 4.Joe Avery's Piece
- 5.The Preacher
- 6.Mahogany Hall Stomp
- 7.Here Comes Santa Claus (Down Santa Claus Lane)
- 8.Bee's Knees
- 9.Trouble in Mind
- 10.Jambalaya (On the Bayou)
- 12.Basin Street Blues
- 13.Alexander's Ragtime Band
- 14.Down in Honkey Tonk Town
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Jackie Coon (vocals, flugelhorn); Tom Gekler (vocals, trombone); Rick Fay (clarinet, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Connie Jones (cornet); Matt Perrine (sousaphone); Bob Molinelli (piano, tambourine); Charlie Lodice (drums).
Audio Mixer: Gary Baldassari.
Liner Note Author: Mat Domber.
Recording information: Ultrasonic Studios, New Orleans, LA (02/22/1993/02/24/1993).
The two sessions from 1993 included on this 2005 CD were previously unreleased. The proceeds from this joyous music is being donated to the Jazz Foundation of America for the benefit of New Orleans musicians who suffered major losses during Hurricane Katrina. Four of the selections, "The Second Line," "Joe Avery's Place" (which is taken slower than usual), "Here Comes Santa Claus," and "Jambalaya," feature a marching band with four horns, pianist Bob Molinelli playing tambourine, Matt Perrine on sousaphone taking the place of bassist John Loupe, and Richard Taylor added on bass drum. That project is so happy that it is a pity that this mini-set is not an entire CD by itself. However the remainder of the CD is of high quality too, a happy trad jazz date. The Bixish cornet of Connie Jones contrasts well with the laid-back fl쳌gelhorn of Jackie Coon and it is good to hear the late saxophonist Rick Fay again. Coon takes an effective vocal on "The Winin' Boy Blues" while trombonist Tom Gekler's very low voice on "The Preacher" is humorous. Overall The Joys of New Orleans is an infectious and spirited set, making one hope that New Orleans will be that way again in the future. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE