The Ventures Alive Five-O Greatest Hits Live (2-CD)
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Ventures ~ The Ventures Play Telstar - The Lonely Bull (And Others) / The Ventures In Space ~ $8.84
- by The Ventures ~ Walk Don't Run ~ $8.34
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 21, 2005
- Label: Varese Fontana
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Medley: Walk, Don't Run / Perfidia / Lullaby of the Leaves: Walk-Don't Run / Perfidia / Lullaby Of The Leaves
- 2.Diamond Head
- 3.Seaside Story
- 4.Hokkaido Skies
- 6.Reflections in a Palace Lake
- 8.Classical Gas
- 10.Calhoun Surf
- 11.Medley: Walk, Don't Run / Rawhide / Shanghai'ed / Torquay / The Work ...: Walk -Don't Run / Rawhide / Shanghai'ed / Torquay / The Work Song / Mr. Moto / Comin' Home Baby / Besame Mucho / Rap City / Green Hornet '66 / Perfidia / Blue Moon
- 12.The Cruel Sea
- 14.Black Sand Beach
- 15.Let's Go
- 16.House of the Rising Sun
- 17.Wipe Out
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Ghost Riders in the Sky
- 3.Maria Elena
- 4.Yellow Jacket
- 6.The McCoy
- 7.The Ninth Wave
- 9.Magic Night
- 10.Driving Guitars
- 11.Hawaii Five-O
- 12.Manchurian Beat
- 14.Bumble Bee Twist
- 15.Surf Rider
- 16.Out of Limits
- 17.Walk, Don't Run '64
- 18.Slaughter on 10th Avenue
- 19.Secret Agent Man
The Ventures: Don Wilson (guitar); Gerry McGee, Mel Taylor, Nokie Edwards, Leon Taylor, Bob Bogle.
Personnel: Gerry McGee, Nokie Edwards, Bob Bogle (guitar, bass guitar); Mel Taylor, Leon Taylor (drums, percussion).
Liner Note Author: David Beard.
Recording information: Japan (1990-2002); Seattle, WA (1990-2002).
OK, so they're not the original studio recordings, which are readily available on a multitude of CDs, But this 37-track (including a pair of medleys) double-CD set is still mightily impressive -- these guys make perfection seem so easy that it's almost a philosophically profound experience. This set is derived from a brace of official live recordings done on tour in Japan between 1990 and 2002, a kind of "best-of" their work from 1990 onward, and the producers have very clearly made their choices on more than technical grounds -- there's expressiveness as well as precision throughout the 105 minutes of Alive Five O. The result is a best-of the latter-day Ventures -- which, because they they have done little else but perfect the sound they started with at the end of the 1950s, places it only inches (if that), technically and philosophically, from being a best-of the Ventures. Gerry McGee (lead guitar, bass), Nokie Edwards (lead guitar, bass), Don Wilson (rhythm guitar), and Bob Bogle (bass, lead guitar) are everywhere, and the late Mel Taylor is the drummer on the 1990-vintage cuts, while his son Leon Taylor handles the skins on the majority of the tracks. The sound is as flawless as the performances, and the annotation is thorough as well. ~ Bruce Eder
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 LABOR DAY
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Benatar The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE