Marion Harris The Complete Victor Releases
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Various Artists ~ Boardwalk Empire, Volume 1 (Music from the HBO Original Series) ~ $16.59
- by Lee Morse ~ Echoes of a Songbird: 50 Recordings from 1924-1930 (2-CD) ~ $17.99
- by Various Artists ~ Tin Pan Alley Blues: 1916-1925 ~ $18.49
- Released: July 5, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Archeophone Records
- 1.I Ain't Got Nobody Much
- 2.I'm Gonna Make Hay While the Sun Shines in Virginia
- 3.Don't Leave Me, Daddy
- 4.My Syncopated Melody Man
- 5.Paradise Blues
- 6.I Wonder Why
- 7.They Go Wild, Simply Wild, Over Me
- 8.Some Sweet Day
- 9.When I Hear That Jazz Band Play
- 10.Everybody's Crazy 'Bout the Dog-Gone Blues But I'm Happy
- 11.When Alexander Takes His Ragtime Band to France
- 12.When Alexander Takes His Ragtime Band to France
- 13.There's a Lump of Sugar Down in Dixie
- 14.Mammy's Chocolate Soldier
- 15.Good-Bye Alexander (Goodbye Honey Boy)
- 16.A After You've Gone
- 17.For Johnny and Me
- 18.Good Man Is Hard to Find
- 19.Jazz Baby
- 20.Take Me to the Land of Jazz
- 21.The Did You Mean It?
- 22.The Man I Love
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Marion Harris (vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Richard Martin ; Meagan Hennessey.
Recording information: Camden, NJ (08/09/1916-12/08/1927); Chicago, IL (08/09/1916-12/08/1927); New York, NY (08/09/1916-12/08/1927).
Marion Harris was one of the top singers on records during 1916-1920; in fact, she was one of the few vocalists documented during that period who was actually listenable! Even before jazz was recorded, she had a jazz feel to her singing, as can be heard on the 1916 version of "I Ain't Got Nobody" that opens this superior collection. Included on this CD are all of Harris' recordings for the Victor label: 19 numbers from 1916-1919 (including five from 1916) and a pair of later titles from 1927. Harris' relatively laid-back delivery (a major contrast to the other singers of the period) at times almost sounds like Ruth Etting and Annette Hanshaw from a decade later. Among the other notable performances are "I'm Gonna Make Hay While the Sun Shines in Virginia," "They Go Wild, Simply Wild, Over Me," "Some Sweet Day," "After You've Gone," and "Take Me to the Land of Jazz." A valuable historic release. ~ Scott Yanow
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)(5)
$6.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!