Mahalia Jackson The Best of Mahalia Jackson 
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 30, 1995
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/03, p.1244 stars out of 5 - "...Mahalia gave thanks through slow tempo spirituals and gentle hymnal odes..."t
- 1.God Put a Rainbow in the Sky
- 2.He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
- 3.Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho
- 4.His Eye Is on the Sparrow
- 5.Walk to Jerusalem
- 6.Come on Children, Let's Sing
- 7.Summertime / Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child; Summertime (From 'Porgy & Bess')\Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
- 8.In the Upper Room
- 9.I Will Move on up a Little Higher
- 10.God Is So Good (To Me)
- 11.How I Got Over
- 12.Didn't It Rain
- 13.Trouble of the World
- 14.He Calmed the Ocean
- 15.Just a Little While to Stay Here
- 16.Part Vi (23rd Psalm)
Personnel includes: Mahalia Jackson (vocals); James E. Raney, Clifton Best, H. Ellis (guitar); Mildred Falls, E. Robinson (piano); Alfred Miller, Ralph Jones, B. Preston, Willie Webb, Edward Robinson (organ); Addison Farmer, Walter Page, K. Mitchell, Aaron Bell (bass); James Osie Johnson, Gordon Powell, S. Manne, Gus Johnson (drums); The Jack Halloran Singers.
The Mildred Falls Trio: Mildred Falls (piano); Lilton M. Mitchell (organ); Tom Bryant, Milt Hinton (bass).
The Falls-Jones Ensemble: Mildred Falls (piano); Ralph Jones (organ); Jack Lasberg, Frank Carroll, Milt Hinton (bass); Bunny Shawker, Gus Johnson (drums).
Duke Ellington And His Orchestra: Duke Ellington (conductor); Ray Nance (violin, trumpet); William H. Graham, James Hamilton, Russell Procope, Paul Gonsalves, Harry Carney (saxophone); Harold Baker, Clark Terry, William Anderson (trumpet); John C. Sanders, Quentin L. Jackson, Britt Woodman (trombone); James Woode (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Recorded in New York; Chicago, Illinois; Hollywood, California; live in Sweden; and live at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island between November 23, 1954 and March 11, 1963. Includes liner notes by M. Elliot Neal.
By the late 1950s, Mahalia Jackson was a bona fide superstar, performing on radio and television, and at jazz festivals and concerts in the United States and abroad. These recordings, culled from sessions cut at the peak of Jackson's commercial success (1954-1963), show her in top vocal form. Jackson brought an earthy dimension to the pious sound of traditional church music, inflecting her phrases with swinging cadences and bluesy flourishes. Jackson's sound and passionate Christian messages struck a common chord with people of all colors, and the demand for some of her recordings--many of which are included on this set--went through the roof.
Jackson brings a vitality to traditional songs like "Trouble of the World" that infuses the material with new life. Her treatment of Rev. W.H. Brewster's "I Will Move on Up a Little Higher" is also here. Her jubilees, hymns, and spirituals are sometimes imbued with a quiet intensity, and sometimes overflow with exuberance and joy (her fine backing bands and choirs don't hurt either). While not a comprehensive career overview, THE BEST OF is a superb one-stop introduction to one of gospel's all-time greats.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 6,981
- UPC: 886977010620
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Gospel: Classic Music Categories:
He's My Ever Present Help (CD)
$15.62 Super Savings
- Argo Singers Near The Cross / I Heard The Voice (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
The Best of Memorial Album (CD)
$15.62 Super Savings
God's Goodness (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Look at the Blessings (CD)
$15.62 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Grace Slick Best of Grace Slick (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Patti Page Golden Greats (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop As Seen On TV, Volume 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE