The Real Thing: The Songs of Ashford, Simpson and Armstead
by Various Artists
Only 9 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Various Artists ~ The Jerry Ragovoy Story: Time Is on My Side 1953-2003 ~ $18.53
- Released: June 9, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Kent Records UK
Record Collector (magazine) - p.98"The Apollas' stomping secular prayer, 'Mr. Creator,' and the rarer, poppier Chiffons reading of 'The Real Thing' are highlights of a set which is solid as a rock."
- 1.The CrystalsAre You Trying To Get Rid Of Me Baby
- 2.Betty EverettToo Hot To Hold
- 3.The ShirellesLook Away
- 4.The DiplomatsLove Ain't What It Used To Be
- 5.Jo Ann & TroySame Old Feeling
- 6.Maxine BrownYou're In Love
- 7.Betty LavetteOnly Your Love Can Save Me
- 8.Mary LoveBaby I'll Come
- 9.Aretha FranklinCry Like A Baby
- 10.Chuck Jackson & Maxine BrownI'm Satisfied
- 11.Mary LoveDance Children Dance
- 12.Tina BrittYou're Absolutely Right
- 13.The ApollasMr Creator
- 14.Candy & The KissesLooky, Looky (What I Got)
- 15.B.J. ThomasNever Had It So Good
- 16.Betty EverettThe Shoe Won't Fit
- 17.The ChiffonsThe Real Thing
- 18.The JewellsSmokie Joe S
- 19.Marie KnightSay It Again
- 20.Doris TroyPlease Little Angel
- 21.Ronnie MilsapI Saw Pity In The Face Of A Friend
- 22.Big MaybelleNo Better For You
- 23.Vernon GarrettRunning Out
- 24.The CoastersLet's Go Get Stoned
Authors: Doris Troy; Beverly Lee; La la Brooks; Mary Love; Bettye LaVette.
Arrangers: Garry Sherman; Stan Green; Gene Page; Horace Ott; Miles Grayson; Robert Bateman; Arthur Wright; Trade Martin; Belford Hendricks; Bert Keyes; Calvin Carter.
Ashford, Simpson & Armsted were songwriters Nick Ashford, Valerie Simpson, and Josephine Armsted, who wrote many songs together in the mid-'60s, usually in the soul-pop style. Ashford & Simpson, of course, later became famous as both a songwriting team and hit recording artists in their own right. This various-artists compilation is another entry in the Ace label's excellent long-running series anthologizing recordings of compositions by major '60s pop/rock songwriters. It features a couple dozen songs that the trio penned at the time, either as a threesome or in combinations of two, occasionally with additional co-authors, all but a couple of them drawn from 1964-1967 releases. There are no big hits here, though there are plenty of efforts by stars (including the Shirelles, Betty Everett, the Crystals, Aretha Franklin, B.J. Thomas, Chuck Jackson, Maxine Brown, the Chiffons, Doris Troy, Ronnie Milsap, and the Coasters), mixed in with some lesser known names. It remains, however, a very historically interesting listening for those who like the poppier end of mid-'60s soul. True, not many of the cuts sound like they should have been big hits, but Betty Everett's "Too Hot to Hold," the Shirelles' "Look Away," Mary Love's "Baby I'll Come," Aretha Franklin's "Cry Like a Baby," and Doris Troy's "Please Little Angel" -- to name just some of the obvious highlights -- are well worth hearing.The liner notes, as you'd expect from Ace, do a great job in filling in the complicated background of both these (largely rare or little-known) recordings and the songwriters' early careers.
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE