Gram Parsons The Complete Reprise Sessions (3-CD Box Set)
|You Save:||$3.50 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (3 Discs)
- by Gram Parsons ~ Another Side of This Life - The Lost Recordings ~ $15.28
- by The Flying Burrito Brothers ~ The Gilded Palace of Sin / Burrito Deluxe ~ $11.65
- by The Flying Burrito Brothers ~ Hot Burritos! The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology 1969-1972 (2-CD) ~ $8.84
- by The Flying Burrito Brothers / Gram Parsons ~ Sleepless Nights ~ $11.65
- by The Byrds ~ Sweetheart of The Rodeo (2-CD) ~ $15.59
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: June 20, 2006
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - p.1004.5 stars out of 5 -- "It's the third disc that has the unreleased treasures....On these scratch vocals, you can hear Parsons and Harris finding their way inside each song."
Spin - p.874 stars out of 5 -- "No voice is more exquisitely plaintive."
Spin - p.58Ranked #8 in Spin's "The 10 Best Reissues of 2006" -- "[N]ot just creating alt-country but striving for a utopian Southern music..."
Entertainment Weekly - p.69"[With] some of the most beautiful songs country ever produced." -- Grade: A-
Q - p.1234 stars out of 5 -- "[H]is subtle delivery, beautifully enhanced by the duetting vocal of Emmylou Harris, pulls you in."
No Depression - p.99"Most of the takes are stripped of overdubs and move the vocals to the center. This unadorned state allows us to appreciate anew Parsons' unaffected singing."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1135 stars out of 5 -- "Parsons laid a foundation here that still stands more than three decades [later]..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Still Feeling Blue
- 2.We'll Sweep out the Ashes in the Morning
- 3.A Song for You
- 4.Streets of Baltimore
- 6.That's All It Took
- 7.The New Soft Shoe
- 8.Kiss the Children
- 9.Cry One More Time
- 10.How Much I've Lied
- 11.Big Mouth Blues
- 12.GP Radio Promo - (Bonus Track)
- 13.How Did You Meet Emmylou Harris?: How Did You Meet Emmylou Harris? / What Is The Story Behind 'A Song For You?' / What Is The Story Behind 'The New Soft Shoe?' / WBCN Interview With Maxine Sartori - (Bonus Track)
- 14.What Is the Story Behind "A Song for You"?
- 15.What Is the Story Behind "The New Soft Shoe"?
- 16.WBCN Interview with Maxine Satori
- 17.Love Hurts - (Bonus Track)
- 18.Sin City - (Bonus Track)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Return of the Grievous Angel
- 2.Hearts on Fire
- 3.I Can't Dance
- 4.Brass Buttons
- 5.$1000 Wedding
- 6.Medley from Northern Quebec: Cash on the Barrelhead / Hickory Wind: Cash On The Barrelhead / Hickory Wind - (live)
- 7.Love Hurts
- 8.Ooh Las Vegas
- 9.In My Hour of Darkness
- 10.Return of the Grievous Angel - (previously unreleased, instrumental, Bonus Track)
- 11.Did You Sing "Hickory Wind" at the Grand Ole Opry?: Did You Sing 'Hickory Wind' At The Grand Ole Opry? / What Differences Do You See Between Pure Country And Country Rock
- 12.What Differences Do You See Between Pure Country and Country Rock?
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.She - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 2.That's All It Took - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 3.Still Felling Blue - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 4.Kiss the Children - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Streets of Baltimore - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 6.We'll Sweep Ot the Ashes in the Morning - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 7.New Soft Shoe, The - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 8.Return of the Grievous Angel #1 - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 9.In My Hour of Darkness - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 10.Ooh Las Vegas - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 11.I Can't Dance - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 12.Sleepless Nights - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 13.Love Hurts - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 14.Brass Buttons - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 15.Hickory Wind - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 16.Brand New Heartache
- 17.Sleepless Nights
- 18.The Angels Rejoiced Last Night
Personnel: Gram Parsons (vocals, acoustic guitar); Gram Parsons; Barry Tashian (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Bernie Leadon (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, dobro); Al Perkins , Buddy Emmons (pedal steel guitar); Hal Battiste (baritone saxophone); John Conrad, Emory Gordy, Rick Grech (bass guitar); N.D. Smart II (drums); Mitch Gordon, Phil Kaufman, Lewis Morford, Joe Doe, Ed Tickner, Jane Doe, Kim Fowley, Tom Bahler, Ron Hicklin (background vocals); Herb Pedersen (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Emmylou Harris (vocals); James Burton (guitar, electric guitar, dobro); Alan Munde (banjo); Byron Berline (mandolin, fiddle); Glen D. Hardin (piano, organ); Steve Snyder (vibraphone); Sam Goldstein, John Guerin, Ronnie Tutt (drums); Linda Ronstadt (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Emmylou Harris; Bill Inglot; Brian Kehew.
Audio Remasterers: Dan Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Audio Remixer: Hugh Davies.
Liner Note Authors: Emmylou Harris; Parke Puterbaugh; James Austin; Holly George-Warren.
Recording information: Capitol Records Studios, Hollywood, CA (09/1972-07/1973); Wally Heider Studio 4, Hollywood, CA (09/1972-07/1973).
Author: Emmylou Harris.
Photographers: Ginny Winn; Kim Gottlieb-Walker; Barry Feinstein; Greg Allen ; Andee Nathanson; Doug Hanners; Rodney Bingenheimer.
Taking the place of the obligatory cd two-fer of GP and GREVIOUS ANGEL, Gram Parsons's THE COMPLETE REPRISE SESSIONS covers it all and then some for Grampires of all stripes. Produced by Emmylou Harris and Parsons cohort James Austin, this beautifully designed three-disc set includes one disc devoted to each solo record and a third featuring outtakes from each album's sessions. With fewer overdubs and Gram and Emmylou's vocals front-and-center in the mix, the final disc brims with the emotive soul and earthbound angelic vocals the two perfected. Among the final discs many highlights are looser alternate takes of "She" and "Streets of Baltimore" from GP and a "Hickory Wind" unadorned by the ridiculous fake crowd noise that mars the GRIEVOUS ANGEL version. The latter is the best and most stirring recorded performance of Parsons's signature song and alone worth the box's sticker price. Other features scattered on the first two discs include radio interviews (with Parsons's southern hippie charm in overdrive); captivatingly raw acoustic performances with him, Harris, and drummer N.D. Smart; and an instrumental version of "Return of the Grievous Angel" that reveals just how ace a country band the Waycross longhair had.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 31 ratings.
Based on 31 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!