All the President's Men (Special Edition) (2-DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$20.66 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.33 (23% Off)|
- Featurettes: Telling the Truth About Lies - The Making of All The President's Men - with new interviews with Dustin Hoffman, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, Out of the Shadows: The Man Who Was Deep Throat - A profile of former FBI Associate Director W. Mark Felt and Woodward and Bernstein: Lighting the Fire
- Interview excerpt with actor Jason Robards on Dinah Shore's TV show
- Widescreen (Anamorphic)
- Audio: English [CC]
- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 21, 2006
- Originally Released: 1976
- Label: Warner Home Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Closed Captioned - English - Optional
- Mono 1.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: "Alan J. Pakula Thrillers Trailer Gallery"
- Interviews: "Vintage Jason Robards' Interview Excerpt from DINAH!, Hosted by Dinah Shore"
- Audio Commentary: Robert Redford - Star
- "Telling the Truth About Lies: The Making of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN"
- "Woodward and Bernstein: Lighting the Fire"
- "Out of the Shadows: The Man Who was Deep Throat"
- "Vintage Featurette: Pressure and the Press: The Making of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Dustin Hoffman & Robert Redford|
|Performer:||Jason Robards, Jack Warden, Martin Balsam, Hal Holbrook, Stephen Collins, Ned Beatty, Meredith Baxter, Jane Alexander & F. Murray Abraham|
|Directed by||Alan J. Pakula|
|Edited by||Robert L. Wolfe|
|Screenwriting by||William Goldman|
|Composition by||David Shire|
|Produced by||Walter Coblenz|
|Director of Photography:||Gordon Willis|
"...One of the Big Three of screen newspaper dramas..."
"...With Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman at their purest normal-guy best..."
5 stars out of 5 -- "[A] beautiful looking piece of cinema, full of shadows, darkness and paranoia."
4 stars out of 4 -- "[T]his 1976 film feels particularly relevant."
"[The film] remains a spectacular filmic achievement -- a perfect suspense film..."
"[A] benchmark for films about print journalism. The sheer density of information is daunting, but proceedings are firmly anchored by the performances..."
"[T]his is as much of a nail-biter as any action thriller."
"[T]he movie is a victory lap for American journalism....Timeless and essential..." -- Grade: A
Description by OLDIES.com:
Directed by Alan J. Pakula and based on the Woodward/Bernstein book, the film won four 1976 Academy Awards, including Best Supporting Actor (Jason Robards) and Adaptation Screenplay (William Goldman). It also explores a working newspaper, where the mission is to get the story - and get it right.
With ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, director Alan Pakula adapts the best-selling book by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. Pakula created a film that takes its place among such important conspiracy dramas as THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. The focus is on the 1972 investigation of the break-in to the Democratic Party headquarters, otherwise known as the Watergate burglary. Through a complicated web of intrigue and secrecy that eventually involves the highest levels of government, hungry young journalists Woodward (Robert Redford) and Bernstein (Dustin Hoffman) of the Washington Post aggressively examine the incident, uncovering information that ultimately leads to the resignation of President Richard Nixon. Exceptional performances by Redford and Hoffman are complemented by Jason Robards as the dubious but supportive executive editor at the Post, and Hal Holbrook's celebrated characterization of mysterious informer Deep Throat. The pacing of the film is quick and exciting, drawing viewers into the action of one of the most intriguing mysteries in all of American political history.
- Theatrical release: April 9, 1976.
- Filmed on location in Washington, DC.
- ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN is on the American Film Institute's (AFI) Top 100 Thrills list.
- British director John Schlesinger refused to direct the story, saying it should be tackled by an American director.
- The budget was approximately $7.5 million.
- Security guard Frank Wills, who discovered the Watergate break-in, plays himself in the film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 206 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 45,025
- UPC: 012569734012
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Top ranking DVD:
- The Decade You Were Born: The 40s - A Decade of War & Invention (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 60s - A Decade of Hope & Promise (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 50s - A Decade of Change in America (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- WWII - Eagle Against the Sun: 10-Part Series of the War with Japan (2-DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Pit and the Pendulum (1961) / Tales of Terror (1962) (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE