The Chieftains Water From the Well
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 22, 2000
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Q - 4/00, p.883 stars out of 5 - "...[They] turn back to their roots with this set. An album of great balance....the textures here are so distinctive and rich that theirs is still one of the definitive sounds of a good time."
Uncut - 8/02, p.1003 out of 5 - "...The Chieftains are a treasure and every home should have at least one of their albums..."
- 1.Lots of Drops of
- 2.Bean an Fhir Rua (the Red Haired Man's Wife)
- 3.Jack of All Trades
- 4.Within a Mile of Dublin/the Old Blackthorn
- 5.The Dusty Miller
- 6.The Lovely Sweet Banks of the Moy
- 7.An Poc Ar Buile (the Mad Puck Goat)
- 8.The Dingle Set: Tom Billy's/the Gladston/the Star Above the Garter
- 9.Planxty George Brabazon
- 10.The Donegal Set: Willy's Single / King of the Pipers/the Glen Road To Carrick
- 11.The May Morning Dew
- 12.The Kilfenora Set
- 13.An Buinne n Bu¡ (the Yellow Bittern)/the County Tyrone / Newry Hornpipe
- 14.Ballyfin Polkas
- 15.Casadh an Ts£g in (Twisting of the Rope)
- 16.Fred Finn's / Castle Kelly/the Red Haired Lass [Live From Matt Molloy's Pub] - (live)
- 17.An Gaoth Aneas (the Wind From the South)
The Chieftains: Kevin Conneff (vocals, bodhran); Sean Keane, Martin Fay (fiddle); Derek Bell (harp, piano, harpsichord, tiompan); Matt Malloy (flute); Paddy Moloney (tin whistle, Uilleann pipes, accordion).
Altan: Daithi Sproule (guitar); Ciaran Curran (bouzouki); Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh, Ciaran Tourish (fiddle); Dermot Byrne (accordion).
Kilfenora Ceilidh Band: Michael Kelleher, Tommy Peoples (fiddle); Seamus Hynes (flute); Mary Corocoran (piano).
Additional personnel: Laurence Courtney (vocals, banjo); Seamus Begley (vocals, accordion); Frankie Lane, Daith O Se, Ciaran O Gealbhain (vocals); Barney McKenna (banjo); Noel Grady (bouzouki); Ashley MacIsaac, John McHugh, James Murphy, Cora Smyth (fiddle); Janet Harbison, Laoise Kelly, The Belfast Harp Orchestra (harp); Rev. Gary Hastings, Peter Horan, Peter Molloy (flute); Dave Munnelly (accordion); Eoin O Beaglaoich (concertina).
WATER FROM THE WELL was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Best World Music Album.
On 1999's TEARS OF STONE, the Chieftains' prior effort, the venerable Irish institution collaborated (surprisingly successfully) with a number of pop performers, some of whom (Bonnie Raitt, Natalie Merchant, Joan Osborne) had little or no discernible connection with traditional Irish music (apart from enjoying it, of course). On the aptly titled WATER FROM THE WELL, the Chieftains return to more authentic Irish turf, and the results, unsurprisingly, are gorgeous; nobody plays this music more ravishingly.
About a third of the album is sung (Frankie Lane--no, not the "Rawhide" guy--guests on the jaunty "Jack of All Trades"), but the strictly instrumental numbers are often the most impressive, with Chieftain Derek Bell's harpsichord lending astonishing orchestral textures on "Lots of Drops of Brandy," the Belfast Harp Orchestra fleshing out the seraphically lovely "Planxty George Brabazon," and Dubliner (and almost Chieftain) Barney McKenna adding piquant banjo on "Within a Mile of Dublin."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 29 ratings.
Based on 29 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 60,414
- UPC: 886976953126
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE