- Released: January 8, 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Dirty Linen - pp.74-75
"For those who can't get enough of Cash, he's everywhere, with Carters, Statlers, solos, and banter. What a great encore from an old friend."
- 1.I Walk the Line [From the Johnny Cash Tv Show]
- 2.Flesh and Blood
- 3.Stand By Your Man
- 4.She Thinks I Still Care / Love Bug/the Race is On
- 5.I've Been Everywhere
- 6.Johnny One Time
- 7.Ring of Fire
- 8.I Never Will Marry
- 9.It's Too Late
- 10.A Boy Named Sue
- 11.Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
- 12.Only the Lonely / Pretty Woman
- 14.Brown Eyed Handsome Man
- 15.Girl From the North Country
- 16.Fire and Rain
- 17.I Walk the Line [Reprise (With Closing Monologue)]
From the summer of '69 to the spring of '71 Johnny Cash was the star and producer of one of the finest musical television shows ever aired. An adventurous experiment in genre blending, Cash's show featured an array of superstars from both the country worlds (Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and George Jones) and rock and pop (Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and Eric Clapton) in a daring attempt to cross-pollinate finicky audiences.
BEST OF THE JOHNNY CASH TV SHOW 1969-1971 is a companion disc to the essential DVD box set of the same name. While some questionable omissions from the DVD track list are here--why skip over Neil Young's devastating "Needle and the Damage Done"?--the chosen performances (including the previously named) are all show stoppers. The cumulative effect of hearing so much disparate talent at the height of its collective power on one stage is chill-inducing. This collection is just an appetizer, though: for the true trove pick up the DVD set.