- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: February 28, 1995
- Label: RCA
Rolling Stone - 8/10/95, p.60
"...combine[s] melodic genius and verbal intelligence with grace and ingenuity..."
Entertainment Weekly - 2/24-3/3/95, p.120
"...The sublime tenor, who died [in 1994], left behind a bewilderingly mercurial catalog, ranging from neo-barbershop to Ray Charles-style soul, to kiddie ditties, to rudimentary rock. This collection takes in all that, along with chart-toppers..."
- Rating: A
Village Voice (2/20/96) - Tied for #7 on the Reissues list of Village Voice's 1995 Pazz & Jop Critics' Poll.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Without Her
- 3.As I Wander Lonely - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Ten Little Indians
- 5.You Can't Do That
- 6.Miss Butter's Lament - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Mr. Richland's Favorite Song
- 9.Everybody's Talkin' - (from "Midnight Cowboy")
- 11.Don't Leave Me
- 12.Good Old Desk
- 13.I Will Take You There - (from "Skidoo")
- 14.Girlfriend - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Wasting My Time - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Mournin' Glory Story
- 17.Open Your Window
- 19.Nobody Cares About the Railroads Anymore
- 20.I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City
- 21.Vine Street
- 22.Me and My Arrow
- 23.Think About Your Troubles
- 24.Early in the Morning
- 25.Without You
- 26.The Moonbeam Song
- 28.Jump Into the Fire - (single version)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Gotta Get Up
- 3.Turn on Your Radio
- 4.The Most Beautiful World in the World
- 5.You're Breakin' My Heart
- 7.Remember (Christmas)
- 8.It Is He Who Will Be King (Outro) / Daybreak
- 9.As Time Goes By
- 10.Nevertheless (I'm in Love With You)
- 11.Over the Rainbow
- 12.Many Rivers to Cross
- 13.Don't Forget Me
- 14.Easier For Me
- 15.Down by the Sea
- 16.Salmon Falls
- 17.Good For God
- 18.Here's Why I Did Not Go to Work Today, (Thursday)
- 19.Sail Away
- 20.All I Think About Is You
- 21.Perfect Day
Producers include: Rick Jarrad, Harry Nilsson, Richard Perry, Derek Taylor, John Lennon.
Compilation producer: Paul Williams.
Engineers include: Robin Geoffrey Cable, Ken Scott, Phil McDonald.
Includes liner notes by Derek Taylor, Dawn Eden and Paul Williams.
Digitally remastered by Eddie Tallia and James P. Nichols.
To effectively convey the full wonder of Harry Nilsson's songs and recordings, two discs really represent a minimum. PERSONAL BEST includes the hits, along with enough other important album tracks and rarities to make an effective case for the enduring merits of Nilsson (however, anyone interested in a collection of the hits alone should investigate his ALL-TIME GREATEST HITS). Nilsson wrote songs for other artists before breaking into the charts on his own. He was a romantic and jesting writer and stylist of great range and taste. Ironically, over the course of his hit-making years, a couple of his biggest hits were written by others--"Everybody's Talkin'" (by Fred Neil) and "Without You" (by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger). Nilsson was involved in the preparation of this anthology at the time of his early death in 1994.