Bob Dylan Christmas in the Heart
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.29 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.70 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 13, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - p.803 stars out of 5 -- "Dylan's singing is often nimble and clear -- he goes high in 'The First Noel' without a hint of gravel."
Billboard (p.28) - "[This record] contains a breadth of styles that reminds one of Dylan's satellite radio show as his albums."
Pitchfork (Website) - "CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART is a surreal and occasionally rousing collection of gooey holiday ballads, complete with animatronic backing vocals and Nashville-smooth arrangements."
- 1.Here Comes Santa Claus
- 2.Do You Hear What I Hear?
- 3.Winter Wonderland
- 4.Hark the Herald Angels Sing
- 5.I'll Be Home for Christmas
- 6.Little Drummer Boy
- 7.The Christmas Blues
- 8.O' Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
- 9.Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- 10.Must Be Santa
- 11.Silver Bells
- 12.The First Noel
- 13.Christmas Island
- 14.The Christmas Song
- 15.O' Little Town of Bethlehem
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar, harmonica, electric piano); Robert Joyce, Walt Harrah, Randy Crenshaw, Abby DeWald, Amanda Barrett (vocals); David Hidalgo (guitar, mandolin, violin, accordion); Phil Upchurch (guitar); Donnie Herron (steel guitar, mandolin, violin, trumpet); Patrick Warren (piano, celesta, organ); George Recile (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixer: David Bianco.
After the initial shock fades, the existence of CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART seems perhaps inevitable. After all, the thing Bob Dylan loves most of all are songs that are handed down from generation to generation, songs that are part of the American fabric, songs so common they never seem to have been written. These are the songs Dylan chooses to sing on CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART, a cheerfully old-fashioned holiday album from its Norman Rockwell-esque cover to its joyous backing vocals. Apart from the breakneck "Must Be Santa," which barrelhouses like a barroom, Dylan doesn't really reinterpret these songs as much as simply play them with his crackerjack road band, dropping in a little flair -- restoring "we'll have to muddle through somehow" to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," singing the opening of "O Come All Ye Faithful" in its original Latin -- but never pushing tunes in unexpected directions. Many would argue having Dylan croon these carols is unexpected enough and, true, there are times his gravelly rumble is a bit pronounced, but nothing here feels forced, it all feels rather fun, provided you're on the same wavelength as latter-day Bob, where the sound and swing of the band is as important as the song, where there's an undeniable nostalgic undertow to all the proceedings. And, of course, there's no better time for celebratory sound, swing, and nostalgia than the holidays, which may be why CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART is a bit of a left-field delight.
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Special Ed.) (2-DVD)
$13.82 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 436 ratings.
Based on 436 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Holiday & Seasonal genre:
- Natalie Cole The Christmas Song / Nature Boy (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Bruce Springsteen Merry Christmas Baby / War (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists Christmas On The Ponderosa (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! My Christmas / Feels Good (House Mix) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Holiday Soul (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE