Elvis Costello Piano Jazz
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Oscar Peterson ~ Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast ~ $10.56
- by Bill Evans ~ Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Bill Evans ~ $10.56
- by Dave Brubeck / Marian McPartland ~ Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Dave Brubeck ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 12, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Jazz Alliance
- 1.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 2.At Last - (with Elvis Costello)
- 3.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 4.My Funny Valentine - (with Elvis Costello)
- 5.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 6.Almost Blue - (with Elvis Costello)
- 7.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 8.Very Thought of You, The - (with Elvis Costello)
- 9.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 10.Gloomy Sunday - (with Elvis Costello)
- 11.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 12.You Don't Know What Love Is - (with Elvis Costello)
- 13.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 14.They Didn't Believe Me - (with Elvis Costello)
- 15.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
- 16.I'm in the Mood Again - (with Elvis Costello)
- 17.Conversation - (with Elvis Costello)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Marian McPartland (piano); Elvis Costello (vocals, guitar, piano); Marian McPartland; Elvis Costello; Gary Mazzaroppi (bass instrument).
Liner Note Authors: Marian McPartland; Ted Panken.
Recording information: 05/06/2003.
Author: Marian McPartland.
Photographers: Barbara Bordnick; R.J. Capak.
This is a straightforward CD release of a 2003 installment of Marian McPartland's long-running radio show Piano Jazz, in which each week she chats with a guest musician and accompanies them on the piano. For this episode, her guest happened to be Elvis Costello, and the former "angry young man" of the British new wave turns out to be a charming and articulate subject, discussing his career in music, the influence of his parents on his music (his father was a singer and trumpeter), the fine art of songwriting, interpretive singing, and working with Chet Baker. Costello also sings eight songs -- two of his own tunes and six jazz standards -- and is in fine voice here, displaying his knack for what he likes to call "blue ballads" such as "Gloomy Sunday" and "You Don't Know What Love Is," while his vocals mesh nicely with McPartland's spacious piano work and Gary Mazzaroppi's bass. This release sounds just like what it is, an informal radio session with the songs bookend by chat, and folks who prefer Costello in rock mode would be best off passing this by. But those interested in his softer side, as well as a perspective on this love of different forms of music will find this worth a listen. McPartland's fans will similarly be taken with her easy rapport with her guest, as well as her subtle but compelling piano work. ~ Mark Deming
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Unrated) (DVD)(316)
$2.98 on SALE
Saturday Night Live - Lost & Found: SNL in the 80s (DVD)(9)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE