Tori Amos Scarlet's Walk
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 29, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Spin - 1/03, p.71Ranked #15 on Spin's list of 2002's "Albums of the Year"
Spin - 11/02, p.1219 out of 10 - "...An impressionistic travelogue that turns the American landscape into an extension of Amos' own head space...But even when the imagery gets dense, Amos' generous spirit lets you in..."
Uncut - 12/02, p.1384 stars out of 5 - "...One of Amos' most deeply felt, spiritually astute and finest albums..."
CMJ - 11/11/01, p.6"SCARLET'S WALK stands as a testimony both to Tori Amos' staying power and her continued ability to enrapture listeners while remaining wholeheartedly unique..."
Vibe - 12/02, p.2063 discs out of 5 - "...WALK is a distinctly highbrow work, illuminated by gently swaying rhythms, sublime acoustic guitars, and entrancing melodies..."
- 1.Amber Waves
- 2.A Sorta Fairytale
- 7.Wampum Prayer
- 8.Don't Make Me Come to Vegas
- 9.Sweet Sangria
- 10.Your Cloud
- 12.I Can't See New York
- 13.Mrs. Jesus
- 14.Taxi Ride
- 15.Another Girl's Paradise
- 16.Scarlet's Walk
- 18.Gold Dust
The most instantly engaging, least cryptic (though still sometimes inscrutable) Tori Amos record since LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, SCARLET'S WALK is a welcome return to form. Ostensibly a grand concept album based on an American travelogue, the disc is, at its core, simply a collection of detailed relationship songs in the vein of early Joni Mitchell. The instrumentation is sparer than on Amos's last several efforts, effectively showcasing her supple piano work and uncharacteristically unmannered vocal performances. Many tracks feature nothing but bass, drums, piano and atmospheric guitar (courtesy of ex-Pretender Robbie McIntosh and avant garde jazzer David Torn) and this instrumentation gives the record an appropriately open, organic feel.
Though there are, as usual, many moments of confrontational, biting humor here, SCARLET'S WALK reveals a somewhat kinder, gentler Tori Amos. Even "I Can't See New York," which appears to have been inspired by the September 11th attacks, seems more empathetic than angry, and is filled with wistful introspection. Though it lacks anything resembling a hit single, SCARLET'S WALK is a mature and fully realized work, easily ranking among Tori Amos's very best albums.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 456 ratings.
Based on 456 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 43,161
- UPC: 886976914424
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rock & Pop: Alternative Music Categories:
- '68 Comeback Love Always Wins (CD) ~ $11.68
- 10,000 Maniacs Blind Man's Zoo (CD) ~ $13.25
- 10,000 Maniacs Hope Chest: The Fredonia Recordings 1982-1983 (CD) ~ $13.25
- 10,000 Maniacs In My Tribe (CD) ~ $13.57
- 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged (Live) (CD) ~ $12.42
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Jukebox Hits of The '60s - Rockin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball (A Collection) (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop As Seen On TV, Volume 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE