- Released: November 17, 1998
- Label: MCA
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/01/04, p.54
Included in Mojo's The 67 Lost Albums You Must Own! - "[T]hey cut the definitive (though less famous) version of 'Freebird' during these sessions."
- 1.Free Bird - (previously unreleased, original version)
- 2.One More Time - (original version)
- 3.Gimme Three Steps - (original version)
- 4.Was I Right or Wrong
- 5.Preacher's Daughter
- 6.White Dove
- 7.Down South Jukin'
- 8.Wino - (previously unreleased, original version)
- 9.Simple Man - (previously unreleased, original version)
- 10.Trust - (original version)
- 11.Comin' Home - (original version)
- 12.The Seasons
- 13.Lend a Helpin' Hand
- 14.Things Goin' On - (original version)
- 15.I Ain't the One - (previously unreleased, original version)
- 16.You Run Around - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Ain't Too Proud to Pray - (previously unreleased)
This 1998 reissue contains six bonus tracks.
Lynyrd Skynyrd includes: Rickey Medlocke (vocals, drums); Ronnie Van Zant, Tim Smith (vocals); Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Wayne Perkins, Jimmy Johnson (guitar); Billy Powell (piano); Ed King, Greg T. Walker, (bass); Bob Burns (drums).
Reissue producer: Ron O'Brien.
Engineers include: Jimmy R. Johnson, Gregg Hamm, Steve Melton.
Recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Sheffield, Alabama.
Includes liner notes by Ron O' Brien.
Personnel: Ronnie Van Zant (vocals); Jimmy Johnson , Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Wayne Perkins (guitar); Ronnie Eades (saxophone); Billy Powell (piano); Randy McCormick (Mellotron); Rick Medlocke (drums, background vocals); Bob Burns (drums); Cassie Gaines, Leslie Hawkins, Jo Jo Billingsley, Leon Wilkeson, Tim Smith (background vocals).
Audio Remixer: Doug Schwartz.
Recording information: Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Sheffield, AL (1971-1972).
Photographers: Bob Johnson; Tommy Wright III.
To sample Lynyrd Skynyrd's true roots, the 1998 collection SKYNYRD'S FIRST goes back even further than their official debut release, 1973's PRONOUNCED LEH-NERD SKIN-NERD. Comprised of 17 tracks, SKYNYRD'S FIRST showcases early demos and outtakes that the band recorded prior to signing with MCA Records--when they were at their young and hungriest. While some of the tracks have already appeared on past releases (such as 1978's SKYNYRD'S FIRST AND LAST and their 1991 self-titled box set), longtime fans won't want to pass up having such great early versions of "Free Bird," "Simple Man," and the country-tinged "Seasons" on a single disc.