- Released: August 4, 2009
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Uncut - p.1163 stars out of 5
- "[A] compelling mix of thrashy pop and sublime proto-electro..."
- 1.Private Eyes
- 2.Looking For A Good Sign
- 3.I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
- 4.Mano A Mano
- 5.Did It In A Minute
- 6.Head Above Water
- 7.Tell Me What You Want
- 8.Friday Let Me Down - (with Hall & Oates)
- 9.Unguarded Minute - (with Hall & Oates)
- 10.Your Imagination - (with Hall & Oates)
- 11.Some Men - (with Hall & Oates)
- 12.Your Imagination - (12" version, bonus track, with Hall & Oates)
- 13.I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) - (12" version, bonus track, with Hall & Oates)
Lyricists: Daryl Hall; John Oates; Sara Allen; Warren Pash; Joanna Allen.
Personnel: Daryl Hall (vocals, guitar, mandocello, mandola, keyboards, synthesizer, timbales); John Oates (vocals, guitar, keyboards); G.E. Smith (guitar); Charles DeChant, Charlie DeChant (saxophone); Larry Fast (synthesizer, programming); Jerry Marotta, Mickey Curry (drums); Jimmy Maelen (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Neil Kernon.
Audio Remixers: Robert Roderick Wright; Michael Brauer.
Liner Note Author: Ken Sharp.
Recording information: Electric Lady Studios, New York, NY (03/1981-06/1981).
Photographer: Lynn Goldsmith.
On VOICES, Hall and Oates worked toward a fusion of their doo-wop and soul roots with New Wave energy and hard rock grit. On PRIVATE EYES, they perfected it, and the result was a pop classic that's one of the best albums of the '80s. Three of the tracks here were obvious hits--the title song, which features the best handclaps since the Zombies "Tell Her No", "I Can't Go For That" and "Did It In a Minute"--but just about everything else is tuneful and beautifully crafted. Standouts include "Looking For a Good Sign," a gorgeous reworking of the Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," and "Friday Let Me Down," a reply to the Easybeats' "Friday On My Mind."