Jerry Garcia So What
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 18, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Acoustic Disc
Uncut (magazine) - p.74"Inspired, surprising and joyous, it shows that even at the end when struggling with addiction and illness, Garcia was capable of genius."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Jerry Garcia (guitar); David Grisman (mandolin); Matt Eakle (flute); Jim Kerwin (bass); Joe Craven (percussion).
Recorded between December 6, 1990 and November 24, 1992. Includes liner notes by David Grisman, Bruce Hornsby and Ornette Coleman.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Jerry Garcia (guitar); David Grisman (mandolin); Matt Eakle (flute); Joe Craven (percussion).
Audio Mixer: David Dennison.
Liner Note Author: David Grisman.
Recording information: Dawg Studios (12/06/1990-11/24/1992).
Photographer: Alice Patterson.
This might seem like an unlikely duo to record a jazz album, but many forget that Garcia developed as an instrumentalist by playing "free" music with his Grateful Dead compatriots, for whom John Coltrane was as important an influence as Merle Haggard or Elmore James (Garcia even did some recording with Ornette, who is quoted in the liner notes here). Grisman, not unlike Garcia, has made a career of blending jazz with bluegrass, folk and other American musical traditions. It's no surprise then that the two did some studio jamming over classic Miles tunes, the unfinished but rewarding results of which are presented here.
To an extent, this is Grisman's show, as he takes the spotlight most often with his characteristic jazz mandolin work. Garcia is a sympathetic accompanist, though, demonstrating a deep understanding of the advanced chord substitutions that are central to jazz improvisation. SO WHAT provides an excellent view of Garcia's harmonic sophistication as captured toward the end of his long, varied career.
Jerry GarciaGarciaLive, Volume 3: Dec 14-15 1974 NW Tour (3-CD)
Wild Horses-A Rock & Roll Tribute To The Rolling Stones (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (2-DVD)
$21.71 LABOR DAY
Move Me Brightly: Celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday (DVD)
$13.10 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 15 ratings.
Based on 15 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE