- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 3, 2010
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 09/10/1986
"...There is a razor sharp edge to the film that cuts through to basic human concerns..."
Jessie Cates has decided to end her desperately unhappy life by shooting herself with her father's gun. While putting her house in order, she tries to explain her decision to her mother Thelma, who attempts to talk Jessie out of suicide.
Family Interaction |
- Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning one-act play, "'night, Mother," which was also written by Marsha Norman and directed by Tom Moore. It starred Anne Pitoniak as Thelma and Kathy Bates as Jessie. Produced by Dann Byck and Wendell Cherry for the Schubert Organization and Frederick M. Zollo, "'night, Mother" opened March 31, 1983, at the John Golden Theatre in New York City.
- Deluxe color.
- Screened at the 1986 Toronto Festival of Festivals.