- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Seedsman Group
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"State has a mess and Justice must clean it up."
- American official
"I didn't come to Berlin to get the kind of trial we get in the East."
- Helmut Thiele (HEINZ HÖNIG)
Los Angeles Times - 05/06/1988
"...A taut, punchy courtroom drama involving complex and important issues.....Sheen and Wanamaker's characterizations are certainly dynamic..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
An American judge in Germany must decide if the hijacking of an East German plane into West Berlin was justified.
On August 30, 1978, an east German couple, traveling with their child, used a toy gun to hijack an airliner to a U.S. Base in West Germany. Now they must stand trial in this complex, precedent-shattering case based on a true story.
When an East German couple try to defect to America by hijacking an airplane, one of the other passengers decides to emigrate along with them. They land in West Berlin at a U.S. Airforce Base, which counts as U.S. territory. American officials are later forced to hold a trial to determine whether the political refugees should be criminally prosecuted for commandeering the flight.
Leo Penn directs his son Sean in this film, which is based on a true story, written by the trial judge.
Law / Lawyers |
Theatrical Release |
- Based on an actual account of an incident in 1978, when East German Helmut Thiele defected to the West.
- Shot in Eastmancolor.
- A Hobo/Bibo TV/January Enterprises/Sheen-Greenblatt production.
- Additional cast: Jürgen Heinrich (Uri Andreyev), Max Volkert Martens (Hans Schuster), Christine Rose (Marsha Stern), Jutta Speidel (Sigrid Radke).
- Additional credits: Peter Alteneder (art director).