Sarah Vaughan Sarah Vaughan's Golden Hits!!! [Mercury / PolyGram]
15 copies available
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sarah Vaughan ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.48
- by Dinah Washington ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $8.84
- by Sarah Vaughan ~ Jazz Profile ~ $12.05
- by Sarah Vaughan ~ Finest Hour ~ $10.56
- Released: September 18, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Polygram Records
- 2.Broken Hearted Melody
- 3.Make Yourself Comfortable
- 4.Autumn In New York
- 5.Moonlight In Vermont
- 6.How Important Can It Be
- 7.Smooth Operator
- 8.Whatever Lola Wants
- 9.Lullaby Of Birdland
- 11.Poor Butterfly
- 12.Close To You
- 13.Lover Man - (bonus track)
- 14.Tenderly - (bonus track)
- 15.Passing Strangers - (bonus track)
- 16.C'est La Vie - (bonus track)
- 17.Experience Unnecessary - (bonus track)
- 18.Banana Song, The - (bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes original liner notes by Lou Sidran & new liner notes by Will Friedwald.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Sarah Vaughan (vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Dennis Drake.
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Paul Ramey; Richard Seidel.
An overview of the legendary singer's golden years with Mercury Records, GOLDEN HITS comprises mostly pop material. Backed by a string orchestra, some of these selections, such as "Broken Hearted Melody," even contain a tincture of early Motown. Pundits have argued that Vaughan's pop hits somehow degraded her; however, she infused artistry into any song or setting, and the highly arranged accompaniments and unique tunes she performed suited her attitude and technique, if not her potential.
Vaughan's jazzier side, as evidenced on her 1954 self-titled release with Clifford Brown, is understated on GOLDEN HITS (although her version of "Lullaby of Birdland" from that album is included here). Nonetheless, GOLDEN HITS highlights the singer's ability to coax deep meaning from a lyric. On "Tenderly" and "Misty," she croons with her characteristic supple and rounded tone, savoring every note along the way. GOLDEN HITS showcases Sarah Vaughan's wide range, perfectly controlled vibrato, and intuitive gift for lyrical irony.
Greatest Love Songs: 60 Ultimate Love Classics (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE