The Dirty Dozen Brass Band The New Orleans Album
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: SSP 24715
- Released: April 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Q4 Stars - Excellent
Down Beat4.5 Stars - Excellent
- 1.Inside Straight
- 2.When I'm Walking
- 4.Don't You Feel My Leg
- 5.That's How You Got Killed Before
- 6.Song For Babe
- 7.The Monkey Speaks His Mind
- 9.Me Like It Like That
- 10.Kidd Jordan Second Line
In historical terms, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band are the Beatles of New Orleans brass. They were formed in the late 1970s, and their popularity spread beyond the Crescent City in the '80s, as their mixture of traditional Big Easy brass band sounds with funk and other contemporary styles influenced hordes of Louisiana horn-wielders. Their third studio recording (fourth release overall), THE NEW ORLEANS ALBUM, provides a perfect thumbnail sketch of the group's modus operandi. While the predominant flavor is second-line rhythms and post-parade-band arrangements, these are leavened by a wealth of other influences, including calypso ("Me Like it Like That"), blues ("Don't Touch My Leg"), and jump blues ("That's How You Got Killed Before," featuring an Elvis Costello guest vocal that nicely courts the rock/pop vote). The sheer, unadulterated soul of the hornmen is undeniable throughout THE NEW ORLEANS ALBUM, whether they're sticking to their roots, mixing it up with some funk, or showing off their post-bop jazz chops.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE