- 25-Minute "Behind-the-Scenes" Featurette - An Exclusive Inside Look at the Making of "Frank Herbert's Dune"
- "The Cinematographic Ideation of Frank Herbert's Dune" - An Interactive Written Treatise by Vittorio Storaro
- "Exclusive" Cast and Crew Information Provided by Sci-Fi Channel
- Extensive Photo Gallery: Stills and Sketches
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 20, 2001
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Live / Artisan
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
2-Disc Set - Keep Case - Sensormatic
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen Anamorphic - 2.35
Additional Release Material:
- Featurette - 1. An exclusive look at the making of "Frank Herbert's Dune"
- Trailer and TV Spots
- Cast & Crew Information
- Production Notes
- Stills and Sketches from the Creators of "Frank Herbert's Dune"
- "The Cinematic Ideation of Frank Herbert's Dune": an interactive treatise by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro.
- Dynamic Weblink Access to the Interactive Dune Website
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 12/01/2000
"...This incredibly ambitious [and] successful adaptation gives Herbert's work the kind of luxury only a six-hour miniseries can provide....Harrison does a fine job of keeping this often densely plotted and deeply philosophical story moving..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
Description by OLDIES.com:
William Hurt stars in this four-hour, epic presentation of Frank Herbert's visionary masterpiece of galaxy-spanning intrigue and adventure. In the far future, the remote desert world of Dune becomes the epicenter of a spectacular struggle that will spark a revolution, fulfill an ancient prophecy and forever change the galactic balance of power. A breathtaking, special-effects-powered new adaptation of this acclaimed sci-fi classic!
A more thorough and straightforward adaptation of Frank Herbert's beloved sci-fi novel than the 1984 David Lynch version, this six-hour Sci Fi Channel miniseries, written and directed by John Harrison, follows the Atreides family's adventures on the desert planet Arrakis. Far into the future, various factions fight for the valuable melange spice that exists exclusively on Arrakis and is protected by fierce, gigantic sandworms. While the indigenous, blue-eyed Arrakisians wait for their Messiah to free them from the corrupt Harkonnens, the family Atreides endures infighting and political intrigue. This sprawling and reverent production features a cast that includes William Hurt, Giancarlo Giannini, Alec Newman, Julie Cox, and Matt Keeslar.
Fantasy Worlds |
Future / Futuristic Worlds |
Outer Space |
Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy |
- Television release: December 3, 2000 (Sci-Fi channel)
- Filmed in Prague and Tunisia.
- Cinematographer Vittorio Storaro has photographed over 40 films, including APOCALYPSE NOW and THE LAST EMPEROR.
- Writer-director John Harrison cowrote Disney's DINOSAUR.