- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: November 4, 1997
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 11/27/97, p.109
"...manages to have it both ways, providing a reminder of their impact and a fresh perspective on it, simultaneously. The concert performances are folksy and spare, highlighting Garfunkel's aching vocal harmonies and Simon's ambitious songwriting reach..."
Entertainment Weekly - 12/12/97, pp.84-86
"...OLD FRIENDS is the model of an efficient, enlightening box, its three discs alternating hits and album tracks (which have never sounded better, thanks to newly unearthed master tapes) with unreleased live cuts and a smattering of rarities..." - Rating: A
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Bleecker Street [#][Demo Version]
- 2.Sound of Silence
- 3.Sun Is Burning
- 4.Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
- 5.He Was My Brother
- 9.Somewhere They Can't Find Me
- 10.We've Got a Groovey Thing Goin'
- 11.Leaves That Are Green
- 12.Richard Cory
- 13.I Am a Rock
- 14.Sound of Silence [Single Version]
- 15.Homeward Bound
- 16.Blues Run the Game [#]
- 17.Kathy's Song
- 18.April Come She Will
- 19.Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 3.Dangling Conversation
- 4.Scarborough Fair / Canticle
- 5.59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
- 6.For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
- 7.7 O'Clock News / Silent Night
- 8.Hazy Shade of Winter
- 9.At the Zoo
- 10.Poem on the Underground Wall [Live][#]
- 11.Red Rubber Ball [Live][#]
- 12.Blessed [Live][#]
- 13.Anji [Live][#]
- 14.Church Is Burning [Live][#]
- 15.Fakin' It
- 16.Save the Life of My Child
- 18.You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies
- 19.Punky's Dilemma
- 20.Comfort and Joy [#]
- 21.Star Carol [#]
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Mrs. Robinson
- 2.Old Friends / Bookends
- 3.Overs [Live][#]
- 4.Most Peculiar Man [Live][#]
- 5.Bye Bye Love [Live][#]
- 7.Baby Driver
- 8.Why Don't You Write Me
- 9.Feuilles-O [#][Demo Version]
- 10.Keep the Customer Satisfied
- 11.So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
- 12.Song for the Asking
- 14.Condor Pasa (If I Could)
- 15.Bridge over Troubled Water
- 16.Only Living Boy in New York
- 17.Hey, Schoolgirl / Black Slacks [Live][#]
- 18.That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine [Live][#]
- 19.My Little Town
Personnel includes: Paul Simon (vocals, guitar); Art Garfunkel (vocals).
Producers includes: Roy Halee, Tom Wilson, Bob Johnston, Paul Simon, John Simon.
Compilation producer: Bob Irwin.
Recorded between 1964 and 1975. Includes liner notes by David Fricke and Bob Irwin.
Digitally remastered by Vic Anesini.
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were initially inspired by the Everly Brothers and under the name Tom And Jerry enjoyed a hit with 'Hey Schoolgirl'. The duo reunited in 1964 for Wednesday Morning 3AM, which included an acoustic reading of 'The Sound Of Silence'. Producer Tom Wilson made the presumptuous but prescient decision to overdub 'Sound Of Silence' with electric instrumentation and an album titled after the million-selling single was rush-released early in 1966. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme had a varied mood from the grandly serious 'For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her' to the bouncy '59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)'. The duo contributed Mrs. Robinson to the soundtrack of the 1968 film, The Graduate. That same year saw the release of Bookends, a superbly-crafted work. In 1969 the duo released the celebrated Bridge Over Troubled Water. One of the best-selling albums of all time, the work's title track became a standard with its lush, orchestral arrangement and contrasting tempo. While at the peak of their commercial success, the duo became irascible and their partnership abruptly ceased. Since then there have been sporadic reunions, most notably The Concert In Central Park.