Pete Seeger If I Had a Hammer: Songs of Hope & Struggle
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 19, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- 1.If I Had A Hammer
- 2.Banks Of Marble
- 3.Which Side Are You On?
- 4.Casey Jones (The Union Scab)
- 5.Talking Union
- 6.Joe Hill
- 7.Union Maid
- 8.Step By Step
- 9.Solidarity Forever
- 10.Where Have All The Flowers Gone
- 11.Talking Atom
- 12.Crow On The Cradle
- 13.Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream
- 14.Study War No More (Down By The Riverside)
- 15.Bourgeois Blues
- 16.River Of My People
- 17.Hold On (Hand On The Plow)
- 18.We Shall Overcome
- 19.He Lies In The American Land
- 20.Well May The World Go
- 21.Turn, Turn, Turn
- 22.Tomorrow Is A Highway
- 23.Oh, Had I A Golden Thread
- 24.We'll All Be A-Doubling - (previously unreleased)
- 25.Arrange And Rearrange - (previously unreleased)
- 26.If I Had A Hammer - (live)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Pete Seeger (vocals, 12-string guitar, banjo); Tao Rodriquez (vocals); David Amram (dumbeck); Almanac Singers (background vocals).
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Pete Seeger (vocals, banjo).
Liner Note Author: Mark Greenberg.
Arranger: Pete Seeger .
Most of the many compilations of Pete Seeger's work avoid thematic cohesion, instead focusing on the remarkable breadth of his long and prolific career. This makes the excellent IF I HAD A HAMMER: SONGS OF HOPE AND STRUGGLE that much more interesting, as the 26 songs compiled here are arranged in four suite-like sections.
After the title track and the reverent "Banks of Marble," the section subtitled "Solidarity Forever" collects seven of Seeger's most powerful labor anthems, including the classic "Which Side Are You On." The "Study War No More" section includes possibly Seeger's most famous tune, "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," alongside four other anti-war anthems. The four songs in the "We Shall Overcome" section, including that civil rights anthem, are among the set's most forceful. "I'd Hammer in the Evening" concludes the set with eight songs of hope and forgiveness. A most remarkable compilation.
Pete SeegerAmerican Favorite Ballads, Vols. 1-5 (5-CD Box Set)
Pete SeegerHeadlines and Footnotes: Collection of Topical Songs
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE