Pete Seeger Headlines and Footnotes: Collection of Topical Songs
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Pete Seeger ~ American Favorite Ballads, Volume 1  ~ $15.28
- by Pete Seeger ~ American Favorite Ballads, Vols. 1-5 (5-CD Box Set) ~ $35.98
- by Pete Seeger ~ American Industrial Ballads ~ $15.28
- by Pete Seeger ~ The Complete Bowdoin College Concert 1960 (Live) (2-CD) ~ $22.48
- by Pete Seeger ~ If I Had a Hammer: Songs of Hope & Struggle ~ $15.28
- Released: May 10, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Dirty Linen - 12/99-1/00, p.91"...brings the socio-political history of the 20th century to life....Some songs are serious, some are funny - but all are thought provoking....This recording should be required listening in every high school and college across the country."
- 1.Peg and Awl
- 2.Titanic, The (When That Great Ship Went Down)
- 3.Sinking of the Reuben James
- 4.Listen Mr. Bilbo
- 5.Hold the Line
- 6.Passing Through
- 7.Coal Creek March / Payday at Coal Creek / Roll Down the Line: Coal Creek March / Roll Down The Line
- 8.I Come and Stand at Every Door
- 9.Time's A-Getting Hard
- 10.Little Boxes
- 11.From Way Up Here
- 12.The Battle of Maxton Field
- 13.Get Up and Go
- 14.The Bells of Rhymney
- 15.Waist Deep in the Big Muddy
- 17.There Once Was a Woman Who Swallwed a Lie
- 18.Wasn't That a Time
- 19.Viva la Quince Brigada
- 21.English Is Cuh-Ray-Zee
- 22.Odds on Favorite (A Long Story Terse)
- 23.A Little of This and That
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Pete Seeger (vocals, 12-string guitar, banjo).
Recorded between 1955 and 1999. Includes liner notes by Mark Greenberg.
Digitally mastered by Charlie Pilzer (1999, AirShow, Springfield, Virginia).
Photographers: David Gahr; Diane Davis.
By the '60s, Pete Seeger was as well known--possibly even more well known--for his outspoken social activism as he was for his remarkable performing skills and the depth of his knowledge as a historian and ethnomusicologist. This 23-track anthology, culled from live and studio recordings, touches on all of these aspects. Archiving anthems from the union organization, civil rights and anti-war movements alongside songs concerning specific historical events such as the sinking of the Titanic and the Reuben James. Among the highlights is the savage "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy," one of Seeger's most controversial songs, a Vietnam allegory based on a '40s incident in which a foot soldier drowned when his commanding officer forced him to walk in water without knowing how deep it was. The extensive liner notes place these songs in their proper historical context.
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE